Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No! No! November...
20-11-2008, 12:50 PM,
No! No! November...
Ah . . . shoes! I might just be the Imelda Marcos of the running world. I have to look away when ads pop up for new shoes on running sites, cross the street to avoid the magnetic pull of sports shops. I'm getting better these days . . . I'm only really seduced by hardcore offies. I'd love a pair of Walsh's, proper mountain marathon shoes. Hard to justify when all I get into is a bit of mud and the odd sliver of slippery flint.

Right now my Mizuno's are cutting the mustard, nice block soles, minimal cushioning (must lose some weight!), robust uppers that whilst not waterproof do seem capable of shrugging off thick mud with ease.

Roadwise I'm not fussed. I hate road running (and may never return to long distances on the hardtops). I've got comparable Mizuno roadies and they're fine for 10 Ks and halfs. Brookes did come out with a corking offroader in the Adrenaline series but the latest version don't work for me. I like Addidas too, despite them getting into bed with Chelsea. Nike have never appealed, perhaps because the only pair I ever owned (pre-RC days) were a size too small and squished my feet.

Right. That's enough outta me on shoes already . . . :o

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

20-11-2008, 08:40 PM,
No! No! November...
Correction -- I said I had some Brookes Adrenalines. I think they are actually called "Addictions", which seems an appropriate name for items that arouse such a powerful sense of longing among some of us...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
22-11-2008, 03:49 AM,
No! No! November...
My current working arrangements are a bit awkward when it comes to scheduling training. I can only manage 5 decent runs per fortnight if I am to include the "compulsory" rest day between running days. Not sure if this is enough really, but it will do for starters. I'm still a few weeks away from having to start serious training anyhow.

So meanwhile I've been getting used to my new surroundings by scouting out alternative running routes. I found one today with a nice section through some bushland: actually there are plenty of bush tracks in my area but they are mostly (very) hilly; today's find was merely "undulating" and very appealing (see pic).

I take solace in that hilly workouts lessen the requirement for speed sessions, and are generally more picturesque than the typical suburban streets around where I live.

On on...

Attached Files
.jpg   REDDY_PARK.jpg (Size: 71.04 KB / Downloads: 20)
Run. Just run.
22-11-2008, 10:42 AM,
No! No! November...
It´s wonderful you can train far from the madding crowd in such beautiful places, MLCM.

Best of luck with your marathon training.

02-12-2008, 09:49 PM,
No! No! November...
How's it going MLCM? You've been uncharacteristically quiet for an Aussie....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-12-2008, 10:45 PM,
No! No! November...
El Gordo Wrote:How's it going MLCM? You've been uncharacteristically quiet for an Aussie....

Quiet? I thought I'd been posting quite a bit lately!
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  November - Crunch Month Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 42 18,376 01-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler