Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Champions' League
05-11-2008, 12:09 AM,
'Champions' League
Oh dear.
Thought I'd kick off my US Election-a-thon with tonight's CL highlights. Great fun watching Chelsea get stuffed in Rome - on the day they booked their hotel rooms for the final in May, too. Much less edifying watching Steven Gerrard explain to the ITV interviewer that he won a 'clear' penalty after the linesman awarded the 92nd minute spot-kick for what was a fifty-fifty at best and in some opinions a dangerous challenge by Gerrard. Alan Green had the good grace to call it a shocker on the radio commentary so that shows it was bent. Shocking decision verging on the embarassing and very hard on Athletico who looked comfortable throughout.

You can see from this close-up of the linesman's face he wasn't entirely convinced after flagging for the foul.

[Image: sad_clown.jpg]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-11-2008, 01:34 AM,
'Champions' League
You're right old chap, but it's part of a much bigger malaise from which everyone -- your team included -- gains and loses. It's just one of the reasons I'm getting so disenchanted with the game. The combination of crap officials and cheating players is making it increasingly hard to enjoy. It was disappointing to see Gerrard try it on, though not surprising to hear that he defended it. That's part of the routine. They all do it. Sad

Attached Files Image(s)

El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-11-2008, 01:52 AM,
'Champions' League
Oh I don't blame Gerrard - it's his job to win for his team and he put the penalty away ruthlessly. I think what was odd was the lino made the call - perhaps it looked like attempted homicide from his viewpoint. It was a risible decision resulting from incompetent officiating rather than simulation - Gerrard made an honest attempt to win the ball and can't be expected to turn down the offer of a last-gasp equaliser.

I would like to point out that Hull got a pen at the Devilbowl on Saturday that was arguably a shoulder-to-shoulder challenge, so it can go against the big home clubs too. Agreed the malaise is widespread and not limited to football. In F1 - a 'sport' I usually avoid at all costs due to the dizzying effect of watching things go round and round at high speed - it seems overtaking is being squeezed out just as hard but fair tackling is under threat in the beautiful game.

Did you hear Wenger's disgraceful comments about Stoke City tonight? He accused the Stoke players of 'cowardice' - apparently they refused to allow his team to play as they wished and actually made physical contact during the match. Not only that but Rory Delap, a man well known for his ability to string perfect daisy-chains and his kindness towards small dogs, set out to deliberately maim his players. Zut Alors! Whatever next? Wenger's a bright spark and I fear he sees a future where hard-tackling center-halves and tough midfield generals are consigned to history. Why else build a team without them?

Badminton is the only answer - 'girl's tennis' according to SP. Fair play, tea breaks and knitting between matches . . . ah, the cut and thrust of high-tempo sport!

05-11-2008, 03:01 AM,
'Champions' League
I'm not so generous to Gerrard on this occasion. If you see it again, he was undoubtedly looking for the decision by the way he lunged at the defender before dramatically collapsing in a heap, while the poor Atletico player looked for all the world like Manuel tottering around Basil Fawlty's kitchen, totally confused at what had just happened.

Yes, Wenger was out of order.

Anyway, I'd rather talk about the US election. At 3 a.m., with Ohio in the Democratic bag, I think we can safely call an Obama presidency. Crikey. Eek Big Grin
El Gordo

05-11-2008, 09:09 AM,
'Champions' League
Sorry mate, when Ohio was called I went to bed, finally able to doze off with the result all but in the bag. I've been e-mailing friends and colleagues at CWD across the pond all night, feeding greedily on the flood of wellbeing coming from every one of them as their incredible evening unfolded.

Well done America. History waits to judge; there's a lot of pudding to be eaten to find the proof behind the rhetoric but there's a buzz of optimism all around the world this morning.

I've been humming two songs to myself all morning.
It's Obama, it's Obama - to Motorhead's It's a Bomber, and ACDC's Back In Black. Not that he's back particularly, but democracy in the West perhaps. 50 years from slavery to presidency - it's an amazing story. The world leans forward eager for the next chapter like an expectant child on Christmas morning.

Watch out for the inevitable backlash . . . white supremacists are thick on the ground over there. They've been relatively quiet up till now but as the reality sinks in I fear their voice will be heard. Those impressive body guards may need to earn their corn.

12-11-2008, 10:59 PM,
'Champions' League
I may have cast doubt on several previous occasions on the existence of God, or at least a 'devine supreme being'.
I must now humbly apologise, as there most plainly is one, and he or she has a wonderful sense of humour :RFLMAO:

12-11-2008, 11:46 PM,
'Champions' League
Yeah, great, isn't it? Cheered me up no end. Big Grin
El Gordo

23-12-2008, 12:33 AM,
'Champions' League
I was deeply saddened to see that bastion of fair play and gentlemanly conduct, England's Brave John Terry, summarily despatched from the fields of Goodison Park this evening. Presumably the ref will issue a fulsome, grovelling apology . . .

12-03-2009, 07:58 PM,
'Champions' League
It seems the shit may have hit the fan at the Devilbowl last night . . .

[SIZE="1"]EG kindly reminded me this phrase was first publicly deployed in football when one Brian Clough famously cuffed an errant supporter around the ear. It was in there on a subliminal level I'm sure.[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'Champions' League Sweder 0 1,248 05-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Premier League game cancelled? El Gordo 2 1,389 29-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Champions League? You're 'avin' a laff . . . Sweder 9 2,754 19-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Sweder