New Schedule
22-12-2003, 08:58 PM,
New Schedule
errr.......moving on, just had a look at that schedule you won't be sticking to.Sad

I don't have the discipline to lay off the beer at the weekend in order to run both days - dare I question your resolve also?? I agree schedules are there to be manipulated but I reckon that one longee at the weekend is enough.

Towards the end of my Dublin training I was only going out twice a week, Wednedsay was a 7 - 10 miler with hills, and Sundays were 16, 18, 16, 20, 18 and 22 before the taper. I am now of the opinion that actually running these huge distances in preparation did more for me than going out 5 times a week would have done.

Each to his own I suppose.

Andy.
22-12-2003, 09:08 PM,
New Schedule
Quote:Originally posted by Seafront Plodder
errr.......moving on, just had a look at that schedule you won't be sticking to.Sad

I don't have the discipline to lay off the beer at the weekend in order to run both days - dare I question your resolve also?? I agree schedules are there to be manipulated but I reckon that one longee at the weekend is enough.

Towards the end of my Dublin training I was only going out twice a week, Wednedsay was a 7 - 10 miler with hills, and Sundays were 16, 18, 16, 20, 18 and 22 before the taper. I am now of the opinion that actually running these huge distances in preparation did more for me than going out 5 times a week would have done.

Each to his own I suppose.

Andy.

I'm shocked that you should question my resolve, Andy... Ha ha!

To be honest, I've no idea at all what's going to happen. I suspect that I may end up doing what Nigel did with this schedule, and reduce the 2 weekend runs to one. BUT I don't really want to say that in public (ooops) because I really don't know how it will go. I can't see myself running 8 miles on a Sat and 20 on a Sunday, or whatever, but I'd hope to perhaps have a short one early on Sat and a long one the next day. The other thing is that there'll be a few races to contend with, and I don't think it's a great idea to have a longish run the day before.

The schedule is just a bit of scaffolding to hang a routine over. It gives me some idea of the kind of progression that I should be aiming for. I imagine only a minority of people follow a programme exactly.

To be fair to Hal Higdon, he's pretty adamant that you should constantly reassess your progress, and make adjustments as necessary. We'll see. As you say, the most important runs are the long ones, weekend and midweek, and pretty much everything else is sharpening up technique with hills and speed and fartlek etc.

We'll see......

cheers, Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
22-12-2003, 09:27 PM,
New Schedule
Talking of beer, I agree this is a key test... I'm actually thinking of going on the wagon for a few months. I've done it before at new year a few times, and no doubt could do it again. As I mentioned, the worst problem is going to football. Wouldn't be half as bad if I went on my own. Mind you, that's only every other weekend. Perhaps I could restrict myself to a few beers only on match weekends which had no race on the Sunday. That would give me a half dozen or so R & R sessions spread out through the programme.

Good thinking, SP, thanks. I could actually schedule some pub visits into the programme, just like the odd race. I'll look into it.
El Gordo

26-12-2003, 12:03 PM,
New Schedule
I´ve read in a Spanish website.http://www.lineadesalida.com/entrenamien...miento.htm the experience that a group of seven people from Majorca did to finish London marathon under four hours. They had never run a marathon but they were able to run for one hour. They had read that Jeff Galloway [ http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ ] thought or had experienced with other runners that you could finish a marathon by training only three days a week for twelve months. They adapted this schedule to running 40 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and on Saturdays or Sundays a long distance run all the runners together on Saturday or Sunday. All of them finished and five of them in 3 hours 57 minutes. The key was in the long distance run which was from 12 to 31kms. It sounds good, doesn´t it? Nevertheless, I´d rather go running four or five days a week.

¡Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

26-12-2003, 04:23 PM,
New Schedule
Thanks for the link, Antonio. I'll check it out.

A happy new year to you too.

Andy
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marathon schedule Good Egg 8 4,409 25-03-2003, 11:34 PM
Last Post: El Gordo