Is it just me?
23-01-2004, 11:46 PM,
Is it just me?
With 100 days having now passed since I took up "running" (I use the term loosely) I did the totally self-indulgent thing and reviewed my "running" to date and re-evaluated why I was doing it and where I am going with it.

My progress has been reasonably steady, conservative and mercifully injury-free. Tomorrow I tackle my first 10km run, which I do not anticipate causing too much trouble, and will be a good test for my first race - the Glenelg SunSmart Classic 10km in four weeks time. To be honest, it is only the fact that I have already entered this race and received my number that has got me out the door some days. I still find running is mostly a chore, although definitely one that is worth doing. Like Andy says, it's often a bitter pill you have to take because it makes you feel fantastic once you've got through it. And then there's that one run in several that is just magic. Brilliant.

But here's my question - the more confident I feel about running distances up to the half marathon, the scarier I find the full marathon distance as I become more aware of what's required. Anyone else ever felt this? Up to 21km seems to me to be just a physcial training thing, but 42km seems to me to be delving into the deeper, darker recesses of the psyche. Which is quite scary because of what one might find there I suspect... lots of weird imagery involving ... well, let's not go there just yet. You might be eating...

Thoughts anyone? Call me a wimpy maladjusted pathetic excuse if you like... I can take it. I'm a runner after all.... (please stop laughing).

MLC Man.
Run. Just run.
24-01-2004, 12:06 AM,
Is it just me?
Quote:Originally posted by Mid Life Crisis Man
...Up to 21km seems to me to be just a physcial training thing, but 42km seems to me to be delving into the deeper, darker recesses of the psyche. Which is quite scary because of what one might find there I suspect... lots of weird imagery involving ... well, let's not go there just yet. You might be eating...

MLC Man.

Firstly, good luck for your 10km run.

You're absolutely right, MLCM. They say that the body can tolerate 20 miles of running, but beyond that, you're in enemy territory. This may also be the basis for the oft-heard warning that the halfway point of the marathon is not 13.1 but 20 miles. That those last 6 miles require the same effort as the first 20.

I wouldn't go all the way with this. I think when you get to 20 you are at least beginning to hear those distant cheers that will greet you as you cross the line, and can start to taste those tears.

For me, the worst part was around 10-15 miles when I was already totally knackered, but knew that I had another 11-16 miles to go. There I felt totally desperate.

But if you're a plodder, a point is reached when you do drift into a kind of back-up version of yourself. This period is only vaguely recalled afterwards. You scratch your head and think "I must have gone through miles 18 to 22, but I'm buggared if I can remember them".

But for me, that's something that makes the marathon magical and something to be lusted after. However (big big HOWEVER), the marathon isn't right for everyone. The best runner I know has never run a marathon, and wouldn't think of doing so. Just because people go on about marathons doesn't mean you should feel obliged to join in.

Here's my advice: don't go looking for the marathon. The marathon will come and get you if it wants you badly enough.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-01-2004, 09:58 PM,
Is it just me?
Thanks Andy, sounds sensible to me.

By the way, I ran my 10km this morning - 10.3km (6.4 mi) in 59:11 ... I was aiming just to finish; breaking the hour was a real bonus. It was tough, but not as tough as actually getting out of bed to go and do the sod.

Feel great now though!

Now if I can just find my crutches...

MLC Man.
Run. Just run.
24-01-2004, 10:41 PM,
Is it just me?
Well done mate. 10km in less than 60 mins is slightly faster than me, so at least feel good about that.

I've been out for a good walk this afternoon, and am just enjoying a "tinny" ("tinnie"?) of an Australian beer that you will disapprove of, so I'll not mention it. But it was cheap, so...

Put your feet up and feel smug. Aussies should be well accustomed to that.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

26-01-2004, 09:50 PM,
Is it just me?
Quote:Originally posted by andy

I've been out for a good walk this afternoon, and am just enjoying a "tinny" ("tinnie"?) of an Australian beer that you will disapprove of, so I'll not mention it. But it was cheap, so...

I understand a "tinnie" to be a can of beer, while a "tinny" is an aluminium dinghy. However, to be really confusing, a "stubby" is a small bottle of beer, while "stubbies" are a pair of shorts.

You gotta love the English language, especially the Strine dialect.

MLC Man.
Run. Just run.
26-01-2004, 10:11 PM,
Is it just me?
We tend to stick to boring old bottles and cans here, but I think I can confidently say it was a tinnie I had the other day.
El Gordo

26-01-2004, 10:13 PM,
Is it just me?
Oh I don't know. An aluminium dinghy full of Fosters would be quite a challenge!
26-01-2004, 10:18 PM,
Is it just me?
Actually, that's not an uncommon sight around these parts...
Run. Just run.
26-01-2004, 10:28 PM,
Is it just me?
Ha ha!
El Gordo