Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So anyway...
06-05-2004, 04:30 PM,
So anyway...
In the absense of any running news, I thought I'd post mine.

I am now back to running regularly again, averaging 3 miles, 3 times a week. Not much, but it's a start and will ensure that I don't have to start from scratch when the New York training starts in earnest.

I am definitely in, and have shelled out almost 2 grand to Sports Tours, and that's just the deposit Eek . Still, it is for the whole family, and includes flights to Buffalo and onwards to Canada to see Niagara. Rumour has it that's worth seeing.

I will start to crank up the weekend longees now in order to have the sort of fitness required to enjoy the http://www.chrisbrashermemorialrun.co.uk which is only 6 weeks away now.

Thanks for listening... Big Grin

Andy SP
07-05-2004, 02:58 PM,
So anyway...
Good luck, SP. 3 miles 3 times a week sounds fine to me. You won't have any probs with the 10K unless you're gunning for a particular time.

I must admit the prices have always scared me off Sports Tours and the like, though at least you have the peace of mind of a definite entry.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
26-05-2004, 07:58 PM,
So anyway...
My lack of training posts have been certainly been matched by the lack of news. I've been knocking out 3 or 4 mile runs 3 times a week for a while now, and then I had an idea.

You see I've always run for distance; never with an eye that close to the watch, (training pace and marathon pace is all Greek to me), but distance nontheless. And knowing that I must run X miles, running X miles is what I do. But however much I try to pace, I always end up accelerating within the last 1/2 mile or so to finish absolutely bollocksed (sic Big Grin ).

The upshot of all this is that until tonight I've found it harder than ever before to up the mileage, I suppose because my head knows that I'm fooked after 4 miles, my heart won't let me go out for (say) a 5 mile run.

Not any more......

Tonight all distance was out of the window. I set out to run for an hour. Granted no great shakes but hey, it's progress. Well you can guess the rest. I actually ran for 65 minutes, including the usual spit-flailing last few hundred yards..............and felt grrrrrrrrrreat!!

No idea on distance, but I'd estimate around 6 miles.

But...(and here's the bizarre bit) If I'd set out tonight to run 6 miles I just know I'd have had to walk and end up knackered; whereas running for an hour?....no problem.Smile

Strange eh?
19-06-2004, 06:56 PM,
So anyway...
...and the same again...Sad

I have been running 8 milers with alarming regularity recently, and was really looking forward to the Richmond Park 10k tomorrow - billed as the Chris Brasher Memorial Run. I knew it would be a breeze for me distance wise, and with no clock it was advertised as a run, as opposed to a race.

When I was young(er), I tore the ligaments rather badly in my left ankle. Ever since then, every so often I struggle to walk on it when I jar it. Yesterday was one of those times. Bugger!

I'm not running tomorrow. Shit. Consolation is having to endure a Guinness watching the footy.

Bugger Rolleyes
27-06-2004, 04:17 PM,
So anyway...
Bad luck on the 10K SP, hope the injury hasn't hung around too long,

Interested in your time v distance thing because I've been thinking the same recently. I'm starting some more marathon training at the moment, and want to try a different approach so have allocated some runs to be 30 or 60 minutes rather than 3 miles or 6 miles.

Will report back in time.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
30-06-2004, 08:22 AM,
So anyway...
I'm sorry you missed the Chris Brasher run, hope the ankle has improved/recovered by now.

I'm interested in this idea of running for a length of time, how do you gauge it, do you just open the door and start running for half an hour before turning back, or do you go for an hour-ish and plan out a route that should last approx. that length of time? Or do you just set off along the prom and then stop after the alloted time??
Phew this is hard work !
12-07-2004, 06:06 PM,
So anyway...
Hi SW,

Well the ankle will never be 100%, but it's now well enough to allow me to plod again.

Running for time was something I thought of doing when the brain decided that 4 miles was far enough. I got stuck at that distance (in about 40 minutes), and going for 5 seemed a daunting prospect, so I changed tack. Running for 60 minutes wasn't a problem. Bizarre. Eek

I found this quite astonishing! I'm not advocating this for a proper training schedule, but to get back into the swing of things (time on your feet an'all that), well it worked for me.

P.S. Just started week 2 of my New York Marathon training schedule, and already I'm behind, I'll probably be doing last Sunday's longish run tomorrow (Tuesday).
12-07-2004, 06:10 PM,
So anyway...
I've just realised I totally ignored your question. Sad The true answer is that where I park, I can run in 3 different directions, and know roughly how far it is to each "end" and back, so a quick glance at the watch at the off is all I really need.

A new route would be 30 mins in one direction, same back.

No great science I'm afraid!