Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roquetas 10 km
17-06-2004, 10:22 PM,
Roquetas 10 km
After Madrid marathon, I rested for a few days to continue with my soft training for a few weeks. Last Saturday, I went to Roquetas de Mar, a town 18 kms away from Almería, to take part at a 10 km race. I went by car. It was a nice evening. When I got to the start line to get my race number, I was told that they were picked up at the finish line, which was around 1´5 km away. It was disappointing although I should have paid more attention to the information on the leaflet. I met another runner with the same problem, so we decided to go together in his car. His name is Jorge and he is also from Almería. After picking up our race numbers, we got back to the start line to warm up a little. There, we met other runners that we knew. There were around 140 runners taking part.

The race started at 9.38 pm. It had two laps and a half. I started with Jorge and other friends but had to let them go since they were faster. At the beginning, it was downhill but it went uphill soon. Although Spain was playing Russia at the same time, there was a nice atmosphere in the streets. There were water stations every 2.5 kms. I did the first lap in 21 minutes. When I was running, I heard a local policeman saying “goal”. I asked him and he told me Spain had scored her first goal. The score was Spain 1 – Russia 0, which actually was the final result . I also met a young man, who had had to stop to go to the toilet at the local police station, and we went together a few minutes until we reached a young woman who was from Argentina. Her name is Silvana and we went together talking until we finished. It was her first race and she told me that she doesn´t usually go for a run just for a swim in the sea from April. We got to the finish in 57´10´´ where we got a slip of paper with the time and a bag with a cap, fruit, which was great since it was free to enter. There, I met Jorge again, who had finished three or four minutes earlier. I also met another Argentinian who was related to Silvana. Later, I met another friend, Javier, who had told me he would take part but I hadn´t seen at the start line because he had also had problems with picking up his race number. He finished in 63 minutes. Then, Jorge and I went back on foot to the place where we had left our cars, changed clothes and talked a lot about running, injuries, and so on. I´m glad because I managed to finish under one hour feeling well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  III carrera nocturna memorial José Zapata. Roquetas de Mar. 10 kms. Antonio247 6 4,260 08-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  II Carrera nocturna Memorial José Zapata Roquetas de Mar Antonio247 3 2,452 11-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Antonio247