Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back In The Saddle...
25-09-2004, 07:18 PM,
Back In The Saddle...
Late last year I ran the Dublin Marathon. At the pre-race Expo, in between picking up my race number and a few freebies I stood and listened to a sports nutritionist. He was taking a question from the floor about post marathon re-hydration and recovery. Apparently lager shandy is the biz. Eek It is full of carbs, sugar, something else I’ve probably forgotten, and the alcohol (not too much though) ensures that the whole caboodle reaches where it matters quickly.

This thought kept me going through my last shuffling mile today. It wasn’t pretty towards the end, but after the terrible run last weekend-but-really-on-Tuesday, I was back on track with a 17 mile run.

8 hours sleep, a marmite bagel and banana washed down with Gatorade meant that I was as prepared as I could have been for this. I still have no idea how the hell I’m going to go another 9 miles more, but I do recall having similar thoughts towards the end of training for Dublin. I guess we all have during training.....do we??

It also means that I can settle down tomorrow morning with feet up and a cup of tea - possibly a slight hangover - content in the knowledge that I've done my bit this weekend, and watch the biggest 1/2 marathon in the world unfold. The Great North Run. Excellent!

6 weeks to go tomorrow! With 3 or 4 more long runs prior to a taper and no injuries of note, I’m feeling a lot happier than I was 4 days ago I can tell ya!!

I’m feeling a lot happier than I was 4 days ago.

See? Big Grin
25-09-2004, 11:45 PM,
Back In The Saddle...
17 miles? Well done SP. That's excellent.

I'm in a trough at the moment, but will be renewing myself again any moment now. You're inspiring me, so please keep going.....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back in the saddle. Seafront Plodder 12 4,785 28-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Sweder