Jan 09 - London Calling
05-01-2009, 08:25 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
The year in review - see below...

Notable events:

July - Wycombe half.
August - Emma born.
November - entered FLM 09.

In other news, the year has started well, with two sub-zero late evening runs in the bag. It's week 3 of my "Hal Higdon Lite" program already, my first step-back. January will see the first double-digit long runs - the first serious stuff, after a couple of months of limbering up.

Attached Files
.jpg   2008 monthly.JPG (Size: 27.98 KB / Downloads: 46)
.jpg   pride.JPG (Size: 6.91 KB / Downloads: 47)
05-01-2009, 09:28 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
Good darts Dan, looking forward to following your training over the coming weeks.

I'd better get out there myself... Wink
Run. Just run.
17-01-2009, 08:50 PM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
Time to start drumming up business - two grand isn't going to raise itself.

Just emailed 190 of my closest friends. The Justgiving page is up and running, and calling cards and a totaliser for my desk at work are printed.

Now just sit back and wait...

Oh yes, better nip out for my 9 miler. Looks like a nice blustery night.
17-01-2009, 11:16 PM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
WOOT! A humdinger of a corker of a rip-snorter out there tonight. Wild, wet and windy, just the way I like it. My longest run for over six months, and already 60 quid pledged via web and mail this evening. One of these carried a conditional sub-4 bonus, so that target is now non-negotiable... Eek
18-01-2009, 08:42 PM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
This conditional sponsorship is getting out of hand - a kind "friend" has offered me 50 quid to run in a tutu. Of course, I am morally obliged to accept! All dignity will be left at the start line. I'll probably throw in the charity's standard orange wig as well - despite my hatred of running in headgear - after all, just a tutu would look silly...
19-01-2009, 12:18 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
Well done on the rainy 9 miler, Dan. I was out on Saturday too, but managed to grab the coat-tails of the beautifully dry and sunny West Berks afternoon. I did pop out for a pint in the evening, and there was a right old tempest blowing. Wouldn't have fancied a plod in that.

They do say that you should do your long runs wearing what you'll be wearing on race day.... Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-01-2009, 01:59 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
El Gordo Wrote:They do say that you should do your long runs wearing what you'll be wearing on race day.... Big Grin

On the serious side of that one- with London in mind, I'm trying to run dressed warmer than usual for my winter training as I'm generally not too good in the heat (and have previously often run in shorts in the coldest months) and have a theory that if it turns out to be a warm-ish day on April 26th (as it was for London a couple of years ago, I think), I'll be ready for it!!

Then again, it could turn out to be a cold day!Smile
Though you can always dress up for the cold but I reckon if it's too hot, you're cornered.
Bu***red even!Eek

Am I losing my marbles?Confused
19-01-2009, 08:54 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
I'm the same as you, AH. Can't bear running in the heat, and is one of the reasons that I've often failed to reach the target of an autumn marathon -- the fact that you have to train through the summer.

The upside of that is that I seem a bit more cold-resistant than many. I don't understand the leggings thing. It's got to be really bitter for me to consider wearing leggings. I've done so once this winter, and probably half a dozen times max in the 7 or 8 years I've been running. It's only in the last couple of years that I've started to wear a running jacket as a matter of course through the winter months -- and I frequently regret that once I'm a mile into it.

I think I'd willingly become a bit weedier in the winter department if I could trade it for being better able to cope with the heat.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-01-2009, 07:01 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
I'm with you both - I'm very sensitive (fussy) about heat as well. For me, this winter, the leggings and extra layer on top have been more psychological - they make it slightly easier to get out there at 10pm when it's -4 outside.

So I'm slightly concerned that I've now agreed to wear a wig for the marathon. Despite having full deforestation on my upper slopes, I always take my hat off after 10 minutes, whatever the weather. However, I guess from now on it had better stay on. I tried last night and had to resist the temptation several times. A couple of weeks should break the habit.

I've never worn a jacket EG - I've never bothered to invest in one for the odd occasion per year of running in torrential rain. Like last Saturday night. Funny that you went out for a pint around the same time - as I left the house and entered the storm, I was reminded of the old Poacher Bitter ad: "Never known a night like it! / And I'm not looking forward to the journey home, neither!"

26 mins fartlek last night - feeling strong, which is nice. Sunday (post 9 miler) was the first day that I'd felt any serious stiffness this campaign, although yesterday things were much better. In particular, my ankles were a bit sore (not particularly expected on pavement) so maybe my pronation-protection is going, and it's time to break in some new shoes. For last night, I also recalled some advice given (I think) by Niguel - use the top two lace holes, to provide extra ankle support. It certainly felt quite good. But I discovered that for the last 18 months I've been running with my two shoes laced up different amounts!
20-01-2009, 10:26 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
I find leggings can help when you have a slight muscle strain - such as a calf strain of quad knack. There's something - perhaps psychological, perhaps physical - about the constricting fabric that lends a feeling of extra stability. I'm another heat-hater - I melt in mild conditions and swelter horribly in full sunshine.

MD you're right to worry about the syrup - headgear on a long run is tough on sweaty plodders like us. Perhaps you could engineer a sunroof in it? Great for heat exchange . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

20-01-2009, 10:31 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
I don't recommend running in a wig - they are very, very hot.

If you wear a tutu, you should change your name to Desmond (if you put your name 'Desmond' on your running vest, you won't need to wear anything else silly like a wig).

Don't under any circumstances do your training runs in a public space whilst wearing your tutu. Confine your tutu training runs to the treadmill.

I regretfully speak from some experience.
Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
20-01-2009, 11:25 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
Ah feck, looks like the wig was a bad idea. Well, someone has sponsored me to do it now, so no going back. I'll stick with the cap on training runs for a few weeks, and then progress to a woolly hat - the itchier the better.

MLCM, it sounds like you have some experience of the wig / tutu thing - do tell!
20-01-2009, 11:40 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
[deviousmode] Dan was there any stipulation that you actually had to wear the wig on your head? [/deviousmode]
20-01-2009, 01:52 PM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
You're right, I could certainly get off on a technicality. Not quite cricket though, is it?

I have to confess that, deep down, I do want to look as stylish as these guys. :o
20-01-2009, 03:29 PM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
marathondan Wrote:Not quite cricket though, is it?

No and a bloody good thing too. Smile
20-01-2009, 06:22 PM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
marathondan Wrote:MLCM, it sounds like you have some experience of the wig / tutu thing - do tell!

[EG mode]That's a story for another time... [/EG mode]

Smile
Run. Just run.
21-01-2009, 08:42 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
Aha, saving it for the book! Wink
26-01-2009, 05:56 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
marathondan Wrote:Aha, saving it for the book! Wink

Well, to be perfectly honest the only way any book of mine on running is going to be of interest is if it's spiced up somehow. Sad But I'm afraid even this story is just another of those "quick drunken jaunts around the city streets as a dare whilst a troublesome youth" episodes. :o

Speaking of youth, how's the newest junior runner in the Mdan family coming along? Sleeping through the night yet?
Run. Just run.
26-01-2009, 06:52 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Well, to be perfectly honest the only way any book of mine on running is going to be of interest is if it's spiced up somehow. Sad
Well, one should never let the truth get in the way of a good story...

(As they say at most of the UK newspapers.)
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:But I'm afraid even this story is just another of those "quick drunken jaunts around the city streets as a dare whilst a troublesome youth" episodes. :o
Under the influence of Hawkwind, no doubt...
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Speaking of youth, how's the newest junior runner in the Mdan family coming along? Sleeping through the night yet?
No, she has established a steady routine, and that doesn't involve sleeping through the night. But generally she's doing great thanks. I think we steeled ourselves for three kids being a complete nightmare, so we've been pleasantly surprised. The fact that I took on another marathon, and - more tellingly - my wife supported the decision, indicates that normal life hasn't been completely abandoned.
26-01-2009, 07:38 AM,
Jan 09 - London Calling
Week 5 was rounded off with 10.4 miles last night. I wasn't particularly fired up for it - I had taken maximum advantage of the "less is more" routine, resting from Weds to Sun and still fitting in my three runs for the week. Plus Sunday night is normally a time for relaxation and preparation for the week ahead.

But it was completely in satisfactory fashion, at 4:02 marathon pace. The pins were starting to feel a little tender, but they'll steel up as time goes by. I need to concentrate on form a bit, as neck and shoulder aches were starting to set in. The cap remained on throughout, in preparation for the race-day wig. Once I'd made the decision to deny myself the relief of removing it, it wasn't too bad. With next week being a step-back I'll upgrade to a woolly hat, which will have to remain in place for the duration of the training.

I think I might also take on AH's suggestion, and remain in long sleeves and leggings right into the spring. I'm not going to do a lot of training in my race-day attire :o so I need to prepare myself for a little bit of extra baggage. In fact that might not be enough - how to simulate the effect of a tutu, without actually wearing one? Maybe a thick jumper tied round my waist? They're always bloody annoying.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late '14 - Lightly Limbering Up for London marathondan 31 21,466 07-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  December - the road to London marathondan 18 23,485 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Post-London: the rest of 2009 marathondan 41 36,185 28-10-2009, 09:30 AM
  Road to London 2009 marathondan 17 12,315 15-12-2008, 10:50 AM