Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DECEMBER - well, you have to start somewhere . . .
22-12-2004, 12:01 AM,
DECEMBER - well, you have to start somewhere . . .
Woke up this mornin'
Looked for my runnin' shoes
I was coughin' and a-splutt'rin'
I got them early trainin' blues . . .

Yes, true to form I've contracted a most unpleasant cough/ cold and am enjoying my annual sick leave from training. Is it only me, or is there anyone else this happens to?

I have a theory. I don't train for months, then I resolve to don the boots and hit the streets. About 2 weeks in I develop a chest cold and am forced to miss a week. I recover and resume training with no recurrance of the illness. I think this is my body saying 'woah - what the heck are you doing all this running for???' Anyway, regular affliction or not it is MOST ANNOYING.

Sunday, December 19th - Brighton Seafront 7.5 miles
Following a fairly heavy Friday night session with SP and our golfing associates at our AGM, I had resolved to take in some sea air. Simon picked me up at 08:30 as arranged and we drove to the Peace Statue near the West Pier on Brighton seafront.

My original plan was to run the first half of the Sussex Beacon 1/2 Marathon (starting at the West Pier and running the frst loop, to Madeira Drive and back to the West Pier). The reason for this was a) to give Simon an idea of the course (he WILL be in the race in February) and b) to keep us on the flat part of the course. We've done a lot of hill work in the past weeks and it would be interesting for us to see how that translates perfomance-wise on the flat.

Well, the best laid plans and all that . . . when we got to the Peace Statue I got all nostalgic for the 20 mile, off-road hill climbs with the Jog Shop crew in February this year and decided we should embark on the first part of that course. This basically stays on the Sussex Beacon route, but is far from flat; we start at the West Pier and run East, along Madeira drive and up above the Marina, following the undulating cliff-top path to Rottingdean.

I was a little concerned that Simon would struggle, but he seemed rejuvinated, having like me not run for a couple of days. Our pace was comfortable and we chatted until we reached the first serious climb at the end of Madeira Drive. Weather conditions at the start of the run were chilly with ahint of rain cloud moving in from the North. 20 minutes into the run the threat became a promise, although the rain barely exceeded a drizzle.
The outward journey was into a slight headwind - I prefer to run into the wind early on; it keeps the pace sensible early on, which on longer runs is essential.

SP and I once ran from Newhaven to Worthing along this coastal path (East to West) - around 16 miles. We didn't check the wind direction, and ran for the best part of 4 hours into a persistant headwind. None too bright, these lads!

This time out Simon and I completed a 7.5 mile round trip in 1 hour 15 minutes, keeping a steady pace with two brief rest stops along the route. I felt very good, sprinting the last 500 metres. We were both pretty pleased with our performance and recovery, enjoying a coffee and a rock-cake at the seafront cafe adjacent to our start/ finish point.

Monday, December 20th - Bad Cold Stops PLay
As previously mentioned (in a whining voice) my natural defences have kicked in, a last deperate attempt by my body to prevent the invitable months of pain and struggle. Happily I'm far too dense to heed this warning, and I'll be back on the streets before the last sodden tissue hits the waste basket.

Happy Christmas fellow plodders. I reckon I'll be out again on Christmas Eve, chest not withstanding. Updates to follow.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Messages In This Thread
DECEMBER - well, you have to start somewhere . . . - by Sweder - 22-12-2004, 12:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December 2017 Sweder 2 1,377 31-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  December 2016 Sweder 13 7,062 27-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  December 2015 Sweder 7 3,814 31-12-2015, 06:03 PM
  December 2013 Sweder 16 9,998 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  December 2012 Sweder 37 24,693 31-12-2012, 01:48 PM