Merry Christmas to all
24-12-2004, 07:39 AM,
Merry Christmas to all
Thank you for the reports, the help and the encouragement. But most of all, thanks for the laughs.

And I look forward to meeting some of you at the end of January for the inaugural Team RC run.

SP.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

24-12-2004, 09:29 AM,
Merry Christmas to all
Cheers SP, have a good one.
The Lurghiemeister

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-12-2004, 09:33 AM,
Merry Christmas to all
Cheers guys - here's to a good Christmas and New Year for all of us.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-12-2004, 09:33 AM,
Merry Christmas to all
Ooo-er - that was post #666.....
El Gordo

24-12-2004, 01:11 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
I wish you all a happy Christmas and a wonderful 2005.

Os deseo a todos una feliz Navidad y un maravilloso 2005.

Antonio

25-12-2004, 01:19 AM,
Merry Christmas to all
. . . and to all our good friends across the pond . . .

Hey! It's Christmas over here already! Come and join us!

25-12-2004, 10:18 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
Christmas is my favourite time of year, because it means good food and wine, a few friends and... the Boxing Day test match! Yes, as I write this, we are less than 2 hours from the start of the most significant date on the Australian sporting calendar, December 26 and the annual Boxing Day 5 day game from the MCG in Melbourne. This year it's against Pakistan, who capitulated to a most embarrasing defeat (491 runs) in the first test after having us on the ropes in the first session. Should be a bottler. Although it looks as if we'll be without Justin Langer, who has a crook back. Matthew Hayden has shown his colours however, being the only Aussie to rock up for the non-compulsory training session on Christmas morning. But then of course, he's also a runner, so he would, wouldn't he?

So, no running for me today. It's TV and pig out time.

What happens sports-wise in the northern regions? I can't imagine christmas without sport, especially cricket - it just wouldn't seem right.

Have a great one Smile
Run. Just run.
25-12-2004, 10:53 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
South Africa v England, 2nd test, starts Boxing Day (in SA, obviously).

Here, it's traditionally a big football day with a full league programe. My lot are away in Plymouth which is way too far to consider travelling to.

Thank gawd.

Have a good day, MLCM, and enjoy your test match.
El Gordo

26-12-2004, 03:51 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
Let's not talk about the cricket, Andy.
I arose early, and in lieu of a Boxing Day run decided to settle down to watch as our boys bash the Springboks . . . err, hang on - we've taken a pasting.

I knew it - as soon as our wonderful press start screaming 'bring on the Aussies' we have our worst day at the crease for over a year. Ho hum . . .

MLC, I watched the first session of the Melbourne test this morning (OK, last night for me). Pakistan skipped off for lunch, 1 for 93, happy as Larry. It never pays to get too comfortable playing the Green and Gold, does it?
Enjoy.

26-12-2004, 11:02 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
No, Pakistan had a good day, and it should be a good match. Hey, maybe it will even go beyond 4 days this time. And the Aussies aren't invincible by the way - India proved that in the last test in Mumbai. They still tend to go to pieces occasionally. It's only the fact that Gilchrist bats at seven that saves us occasionally.

Did England have a "oh well, we've got 8 on the trot now, so don't have to prove anything" kind of day or did South Africa just play really well?

I'm looking forward to seeing a couple of your newer guys who haven't played Australia yet - Strauss and Flintoff in particular seem to be doing really well.
It should be a good Ashes series.
Run. Just run.
27-12-2004, 05:15 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
A most astute observation MLCMan. Very much a case of '8 down, this one's a doddle' I'm afraid. Still, it's good to get a kick up the pants when you're 1-0 up in a 5 test series - plenty of time to sniff the Dow Egberts and knuckle down.

I was going to say we played on a variable pace wicket with uneven bounce and the occasional one that keeps low . . . and then Jaqcues Kallis comes in and knocks 160 odd with the Springboks scoring 330-ish against our 139 all out, so I'll keep quiet.

Freddie Flintoff is a true Gem and the Aussies will love watching him play.
Big heart, bowls all day, bats like he's having a party and is rarely caught without a big cheesy grin on his face. It's becoming cliche here, but 'Bothamesque' is spot on.

Watch out for Steve Harmison. Until last month he was number one bowler in world cricket. He's having a lazy tour just now, but he's the real deal.

27-12-2004, 11:33 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
Yes we well remember Harmison. He didn't have a lot of success in terms of taking wickets in Australia but he certainly impressed us all with his courage - he was compared not unfavourably with Merv Hughes, only rather faster. Sounds like he and Flintoff are going to be a killer combo.

That Jacques Kallis is really annoying isn't he? He does exactly the same thing against us - you think you have SA on the ropes and he comes out and completely turns the game around. Still, I wouldn't write England off yet. A couple of centuries from the batsmen and a good bowling performance could still see you right. Plenty of time.

The Pakistan test here is going to be hugely interesting today. With Martyn and Gilchrist at the crease, 5 wickets down and still over a 100 behind, it's exactly the type of situation Australia doesn't handle too well, especially with rain interruptions. Should be top viewing.

In terms of newer Oz players to watch, we have Michael Clarke in the side now. He scored a century on debut in India and is great to watch. He seems totally unconcerned when he comes to the crease and unlike the majority of Oz batsmen, shows no nerves at all at the start of his innings. He bats right handed but bowls left arm off-breaks, and took 6 for 9 in India, but is not really a genuine all-rounder.

Simon Katich is still waiting in the wings ... hard to get a game at the moment, and a promising new bowler is the South Australian terror Shaun Tait, who is genuinely very fast - not unlike Brett Lee. He may even get picked ahead of Lee, who is struggling to get selected at the moment. Tait is only 21 and you will certainly hear about him soon enough... maybe (just) at Lords in July.
Run. Just run.
28-12-2004, 02:32 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
Ah, MLC, you approach the status of Oracle! Strauss and Trescothick put on 269 for the first wicket with a century each and we're 88 in front with one down. Strauss still there on 132 not out - his 4th century in 9 tests.

All 3 results still possible (with 2 full days left). I'm backing the England boys to bat most of Wednesday and leave SA a nasty little 280 - 300+ to get on the last day.

We hear a lot of good things about Michael Clarke over here - looking forward to seeing him in the summer. Looks like Pakistan are on the ropes again, so should be 2 - 0 to the Green and Gold.

28-12-2004, 10:35 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
A draw looks likely, the Durban pitch looks pretty placid and even the 'King of Spain' won't be able to turn this one I feel. Only the new ball appears to be mis-behaving but once that goes batting appears rather easy.
It will be interesting to see if Butcher scores any tomorrow, I predict he'll manage a score in the 30s again.
29-12-2004, 04:11 AM,
Merry Christmas to all
Well you would like to hope that the bowlers will respond after such a great job by the batsmen to turn the situation around, so I'd tip an England win. They should be used to winning by now, so they know they can do it.

And it turned out to be just another day at the office for the Aussies, beating Pakistan by 9 wickets in less than 4 days again. Best sign for Pakistan was the young leggie Danish Kaneria, who bowled really well and is an aggressive little bloke who was at 'em the whole time. Took 5-for in the first innings and bowled like he believed they could win the game even when there were only a handful of runs to get with 9 wickets in hand. Good on him.
Run. Just run.
29-12-2004, 09:44 AM,
Merry Christmas to all
I enjoyed watching the Langer/Shohib spat the other day. That was quality test match cricket.
29-12-2004, 10:13 AM,
Merry Christmas to all
TIME OUT! TIIIIIME OUT!!

I start a Happy Christmas thread, and it degenerates into an Anoraks R Us convention. Please, enuff, or I'll start boring the pants off you again with more diary entries. Sad

p.s......You have been warned. Happy new year all.
29-12-2004, 12:05 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
Well well, Thorpe and Flintoff are having a go as well - England should post a good score by stumps and really set SA a tough assignment tomorrow.

You're right MarcyMarc, the Shoaib/Langer spat was good cricket - and very pleasing to see the umpires and referee letting it go as that. Everyone was pretty disappointed earlier when Shoaib was fined heavily in the first test for giving Hayden a send-off. Shoaib is very much admired over here, as he always gives us curry and is good fun too. And he certainly won the battle with Hayden as well.

Hello? What's this, do I hear some barracking from certain coastal-bound athletes?? Did you place money on an SA victory by chance SP? Anyway, how can it be a happy Christmas without a healthy dose of cricket?

Oops, there goes Flintoff for 60... maybe SP's money isn't looking so lost after all... Smile
Run. Just run.
29-12-2004, 12:56 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
Its pretty tame stuff today, even the Barmy Army are muted. England are just batting out time and accumalting runs until the 300 to win target is reached.
29-12-2004, 01:56 PM,
Merry Christmas to all
Sadly at work today so unable to follow the pictures. Happily I have radio coverage on in the background to keep up with wickets/ boundaries and Freddie's sixes (RIP). Just reached 501 for 5 which suggests Marcymarks' obersavtions on a draw are spot on.

Unless Harmison can get fired up and knock a few over in the last hour tonight . . .

SP's not much of a cricket fan. Get him on tennis however . . . . ooh err missus, there's no stopping the chappie. Congrats to the Aussies on another awesome display. I do hope we can offer a decent fight in the summer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Merry Christmas stillwaddler 1 8,132 24-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Happy Christmas stillwaddler 4 3,107 25-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Happy Christmas All Good Egg 4 2,317 24-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Christmas Wine Selection Ian 14 5,247 23-11-2003, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Ian