Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Tennis!
26-01-2005, 01:42 PM,
Super Tennis!
Wow - when was the last time all four top seeds made it through to the semi-finals of a grand slam, AND all four have been ranked no.1 in the world AND all four have won grand slam titles?!

Stunning stuff, and superlative semi-final match-ups: Federer -v- Safin and Hewitt -v- Roddick.

Great stuff. And all four are in with a chance, although I think Safin is probably the only one with a chance of beating Federer. Even if he does, he won't necessarily win the final. Gripping Smile
Run. Just run.
26-01-2005, 01:48 PM,
Super Tennis!
I listened to the Hewitt Nalbandian final set on 5 Live Xtra this morning.
Holy tight matches Batman . . . that was a corker! Could have gone either way, with Nalbandian coming from 2 sets to love down and having at least a zillion chances to take the fifth. Hewitt must be made of granite.

History suggests the mighty Aus will fall against Roddick in the semis.
I seem to recall Roddick had a tough 5-setter in the round of 16 last year then got crushed by Schuttler, having nothing left in the tank. But good luck to the lad - he has a huge heart.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-01-2005, 07:29 PM,
Super Tennis!
Well to borrow shamelessly from the wonderful David Coleman, I opened my mouth and showed my (lack of) class with my tennis prediction. Roddick coasts his quarter having lost a solitary set to Rusedski, whilst Hewitt takes on the labours of Hercules into the wee small hours in a succession of draining marathon matches. Gotta be Roddick, right?

Wrong. Again. Well done young Hewitt, you are a class act.
Safin's good, but nothing can stop the Aussie Whirlwind now.
Unless of course its' my unequivacal backing . . . Smile

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-01-2005, 07:41 PM,
Super Tennis!
well I know Hewitt has home advantage, but I'm gonna back Safin.

Safin is more than just a class act, he has bags of ability, and easily has the game to be world No 1. He just has the knack of losing it mentally..... But, after the Federer win, he must surely be on top of his game.

I'll be a tough match, and the longer it goes on the better chance Hewitt has (he says, hedging his bets Smile )

Not forgetting that Navratilova has made the semi's of the mixed, at the age of 48! She truly is one of the greats, still cutting it against players half her age.
29-01-2005, 12:01 PM,
Super Tennis!
Yes Navratilova is the real hero - just staggering.

But I can't pick the Hewitt/Safin final. Like I said before, I could see Safin beating Federer (and what a match that was!), but he's defintely beatable by Hewitt playing at home. Then again, Safin has been runner up here twice and dead keen not to do so a third time. Whichever way it goes, it is going to be one tough fight, with both deserving the win. I'll feel more sorry for the runner up than happy for the winner I think.

But what great tennis it has been!

Even made me forget about the cricket for a minute or two.
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even more tennis! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 15 7,624 26-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man