Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here we go again.
28-01-2009, 11:12 AM,
Here we go again.
40 degress is lethal. I was out in New Delhi a couple of years back when it was around 44; ultra hot and steamy, like being trapped in a very small, very hot sauna with Angelina Jolie . . .

Sorry, drifted off there :o
Mm, yes: Delhi. Well, I managed one evening trot with my local agent around the park and almost passed out after 20minutes. Tready all the way in those conditions (and I hate the ruddy things).

Night running sounds brilliant to me. I rarely sleep through the night; running off a head full of thoughts in the wee small hours sounds like perfect therapy. I'm considering doing my local offroad run at night (with a headlamp, like the Bob Graham nutters in Feet In The Clouds) - but after Almeria, just in case the rabbits have perfected their man-trap Eek

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-01-2009, 11:22 AM,
Here we go again.
At the pre-race pasta meal in Chicago, I shared a table with some people from Texas who said that their running group meets at 4 a.m. to combat the heat.

If you're definitely aiming to do the race, I guess that night time runs are the only option, with the help of a bunch of shorter treadmill runs. I was reading someone on the RW forum a while ago saying that they trained for an entire marathon -- intervals, tempo and even long runs -- on a treadmill. Their marathon time was good -- under 3:30. Sounds like a very boring way to train but if it's the only option, then it has to be done.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
28-01-2009, 11:22 AM,
Here we go again.
Night running is brilliant - definitely my favourite time of day to run, although I'm not sure about off-road stuff :o. The world is a different place in the middle of the night, and I don't think I've ever had a bad night run.

You've got me quite excited about the prospect of it again!

Of course, there is one little drawback - you can't drink too much in the evening before the run. Sad
Run. Just run.
28-01-2009, 11:25 AM,
Here we go again.
Sweder Wrote:Night running sounds brilliant to me. I rarely sleep through the night; running off a head full of thoughts in the wee small hours sounds like perfect therapy. I'm considering doing my local offroad run at night (with a headlamp, like the Bob Graham nutters in Feet In The Clouds) - but after Almeria, just in case the rabbits have perfected their man-trap Eek

Night running is great. I went out for a few miles last night. Only 8:30 or so, but pitch black. The big problem is watching your footing -- and even more of an issue up your off-road route. Make sure you have a phone with you in case you slip and get injured. Could be lethal up there on a cold night. I do have a head torch but have never had the courage to use it.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
31-01-2009, 06:52 PM,
Here we go again.
Interesting subject MLCM.

Your observation is right. You do feel as though you're going faster... but you're not. I don't know why.

For the last couple of years I've been trying to do the dreaded (for me) pre-dawn runs. It's the only way I'm ever going to be able to run more than once or twice a week. Every Sunday, just before going to bed, I lay out my running stuff and perch the head torch on top. 99% of the time it'll stay there all bloody week!

Any suggestions? (yeah, I know..follow a plan Sad)
01-02-2009, 11:13 PM,
Here we go again.
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Every Sunday, just before going to bed, I lay out my running stuff and perch the head torch on top. 99% of the time it'll stay there all bloody week!

Any suggestions? (yeah, I know..follow a plan Sad)

Look BB you aren't alone with that problem. But I'm sure that like me, your problem isn't one of just not being arsed getting out of bed: life really is very busy and difficult and often times with the best of intentions and the greatest will in the world, exhaustion and just plain common sense really do dictate terms.

Best suggestion I can give is not to beat yourself up about it, but just accept that life gets in the way and you just have to run when you can. If you miss a few races or goals along the way, then that's fine, because it means you're not being selfish about it and are putting your family and your own health first, which is good and proper.

I've known several people addicted to running, and to be honest, such an obsession is a very selfish affair and rarely ends happily. More than a few marriages have ended because of one partner putting running ahead of family.

I was horrified to read in a recent edition of Runners World that there is such a thing as a triple ironman event: 11km swim, 555km bike and 127km run (in fact there are even longer races). Without exception, everyone I've mentioned this too has not been impressed by the athleticism required to race an event like that, but by the sheer arrogance and selfishness of anyone wanting to do such a race. I think there's a lot of truth in that.

That was a very long winded way of saying "don't sweat it BB, we understand". And to be honest, without totally re-arranging life's priorities, it is always going to be tricky if you're juggling work, family and personal interests.

Best of luck with it! Smile
Run. Just run.
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM,
Here we go again.
I've rarely managed to fall straight out of bed and into a run. The only early morning routine I've ever stuck with is: get up, pull on the running gear, drive to work, run, shower, breakfast at desk. That way I get 45 mins or so to wake up, and I don't sit in a cramped car straight after running.

That possibly doesn't fit your lifestyle. Right now I'm really enjoying running late evening. Family time and chores done, nip out at 10ish for an hour or so, quick shower and fall into bed. The 6-7 hours elevation straight after the run is doing wonders for my recovery.