Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forgive me, fellow RC parishoners - for I have sinned.
26-01-2009, 08:50 PM,
You see I have 10K to run in 5 days time and my last run was a 20 minute treddy session on 20 November whilst I had man-flu. Eek I've not kept up with the training, preferring to do it 'tomorrow'.

I mentioned to Sweder (or rather sought his opinion) that I intended to go out this past weekend and run for an hour. No distance in mind, just plod/walk until the 60 minutes were up.

Well since I've taken procrastination to new levels over this Almeria run, obviously that didn't happen...........but tonight it did.

Parking in a spot which I knew was exactly 1 mile from the end of the Seafront, off I plodded. I faffed around for a couple of minutes adjusting things and tightening other things, and set off. It was a laughably slow start and didn't really get any faster but since distance wasn't the issue.......

I stopped 76 minutes later having run exactly 7 miles (11.2 km). Non-stop. Bugger me! I couldn't believe how well I felt. From around 3 miles onwards I was waiting for some discomfort to arrive, but it never did. Lungs were fine, legs, back, calfs, knees, everything. And no walk breaks!

I'm sitting here now with sore nips but hey, small sacrifice eh? Basically I'm chuffed. Both Sweder and Claire have been telling me that the tennis I play will have kept up the fitness levels and I've rubbished both of them. Tennis is totally different, more explosive with periods of rest etc......seems like I may have to eat a dollop of humble pie ("empanada humilde" according to Babelfish Smile ) and perhaps, just perhaps they've been right. Frankly I can't think of any other reason how I managed this distance non-stop tonight after 2 months off.

it's also a big weight off my mind to know that I can finish. Big Grin

Did I mention I'm chuffed? Fully expect to find stairs a challenge tomorrow, but have 5 full days to recover.
26-01-2009, 09:09 PM,
Haha, no stopping you now mate - the dark side* has you!

Great effort SP, well done!!

*I mean Guinness, of course.
Run. Just run.
26-01-2009, 10:11 PM,
Fantastic result SP. Hopefully you can get out there and enjoy the 10K, knowing that it's eminently do-able.

And will Jan 26th now be the regular date for your annual training run?
26-01-2009, 11:07 PM,
Have you been drinking again? :mad:
Oh, silly question Big Grin

Told ya Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-01-2009, 12:34 AM,
Eek

Wow -- splendid. When I read the first bit of your post, I was thinking "here we go -- he's pulling out".

Just get round the 10K, however you manage it, and we'll be even prouder of you than we are now. Great stuff mate. Well done.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-01-2009, 11:02 AM,
Thanks guys. I have a little discomfort this morning but nothing I can't handle.

I suppose what's slightly annoying is that (knowing what I know now) I could have shuffled around the Brighton 10K with El G. :p
27-01-2009, 11:56 AM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I suppose what's slightly annoying is that (knowing what I know now) I could have shuffled around the Brighton 10K with El G. :p

But who would have taken the photos? A noble sacrifice on your part, I thought. Smile
Run. Just run.
27-01-2009, 02:02 PM,
BRILLIANT - looking forward to your Almeria report SP
Phew this is hard work !
29-01-2009, 09:37 PM,
Hamstrings like piano wire since tuesday morning. I swear I heard Rachmaninoff spouting forth from my nether regions as I limped through 2 hours of tennis tonight. Eek

Still, I really do have to have a serious chat with myself over priorities as I've just realised that the Aussie Open mens final (which will involve a Spaniard vs Federer) is on at around 8am on the morning of the race.. Nooooo

Dilemma Sad

What's Spanish for "will you record this for me"?
30-01-2009, 12:34 AM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I really do have to have a serious chat with myself over priorities..........

You said it, SP.

Don't even think about.... Eek
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
30-01-2009, 04:52 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Hamstrings like piano wire since tuesday morning. I swear I heard Rachmaninoff spouting forth from my nether regions as I limped through 2 hours of tennis tonight. Eek

Still, I really do have to have a serious chat with myself over priorities as I've just realised that the Aussie Open mens final (which will involve a Spaniard vs Federer) is on at around 8am on the morning of the race.. Nooooo

Dilemma Sad

What's Spanish for "will you record this for me"?

It is : ¿Puedes grabármelo? I´m sorry, SP, but we just have a DVD and it can´t record, you can just watch films, etc. We used to have a VHS video set but it broke down and we changed it into the DVD. Anyway, if it lasts as long as today´s match, you will be able to watch most of the match. Besides, it could be repeated in the afternoon as they are doing today with Rafa Nadal and Fernando Verdasco´s match.

I wish you get better from your discomfort and can do the 10 km race on Sunday.

04-02-2009, 07:47 AM,
Just a short note to report that I managed to get back to the hotel after the 11K race (yes really! Eek Those dastardly Spaniards took fuck-ups to a new level, but more of that later), and managed to watch most of the 5th and deciding set where another dastardly Spaniard managed to scupper Federer's aim to match Sampras's record of 14 Grand Slam titles.

Race report will have to wait. I have a day of work catch-up followed by a short business trip away leaving at some god-awful time tomorrow morning!

The whole trip was a corker though. Smile