Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
II Carrera nocturna Memorial José Zapata Roquetas de Mar
10-05-2005, 05:57 PM,
II Carrera Nocturna Memorial José Zapata Miranda. Roquetas de Mar ( Almería ). 10 km.

This is an evening race. It was on 1st May. It starts at 9:30 pm. I arrived at Roquetas de Mar by 8 pm. I went to the start at Centro Comercial Gran Plaza, where I had met Andy and M. when they were in the province of Almería after the half marathon. Then, I entered the race, which was free. There were a few runners around there. I met Vanessa, a student of mine, who was going to take part with other mates from her volley-ball club but they just intended to run a few minutes and retire. However, she finally did the whole course.

After getting changed , I went to the start again and met Felipe and Mario, friends of mine who also took part at Almería half marathon. We did some warm up exercises before starting. There were around 200 people at the start. I also met Javier there. He lives in Roquetas and I´ve trained with him several times while I was in Roquetas last summer. He told me he had some discomfort in his leg since he had an injury while playing soccer a few days before. I started at my pace and soon Javier reached me. So we went together the whole course talking and I felt quite well. We went along the road to the urbanización de Roquetas de Mar as far as the first phase where there is a roundabout. There was a part of the course dark because the road is at works. Then, we went back along the road next to the sea front, which is more beautiful. We met a young man from Germany who was riding on bicycle. He cheered us a lot. There were people in the street encouraging us as well. A girl from near Hannover in Germany reached us in the avenida de Roquetas, the high street there, and we did the last two kilometres together. Then, we reached the shopping centre and the finish doing the three of us 61 minutes.

We were given a slip of paper with our time and after that we had a bottle of water and a bag with a T-shirt and some fruit. Then, after saying goodbye to the German girl, Javier, his wife and little girl, I went to a stand where I had an isotonic drink. Afterwards, I met Felipe and Mario who had finished before and talked a little about the race. While we were talking a few runners arrived. I saw Vanessa, a student of mine, who arrived the last one with her volley-ball trainer. She decided to finish the race although all her mates retired soon in spite of not being used to that distance. Actually, she finished in 75 minutes and got a trophy in her category. She was really happy to have managed to finish. Two days later, I met her at school and she still had leg stiffness but she wanted to go on running.

I think it was a nice experience. Perhaps, I could have done it under one hour but I had a good time doing nearly the whole course with Javier. As we were talking a lot, it was more comfortable. My next aim is to take part in a half marathon before summer and I´m feeling the call of a marathon before the year ends but I don´t know which and when yet.

http://personales.com/espana/almeria/roquetas/

10-05-2005, 06:32 PM,
That sounds like a fun race, Antonio. Evening races; I don't think they'll catch on over here. This evening in South East England we have nice sunshine, some blue skies, and a temperature to make Penguins feel comfortable. It's really nice to rn a whole race with a friend - as you say, you can relax more than usual, enjoy conversation and help each other when/ if the going gets tough. This only happened to me once - in Almeria with Nigel - and it was a very good experience.

I have not taken part in a 10K race yet - I have entered the British 10K race next month - this is set in central London and takes in many historic landmarks along the route.

Good to hear you are keeping the running shoes busy my friend.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-05-2005, 10:13 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Evening races; I don't think they'll catch on over here.

Steady on, Sweder. There's the Hogweed 10K coming up in a couple of Mondays time, there are the three Wednesday Yateley 10Ks through the summer, at least one or two of which I hope to do, plus Nigel's oily evening gathering which I'd like to get to.

Well done on the race, Antonio. Mention of Roquetas brought back some memories of our few days there in January. I like 10K races, though I still haven't managed to dip below 60 minutes. If I can improve my PB by 33 seconds, I'll get below the hour. I have a few 10Ks lined up over the next few weeks and months.

Is your autumn marathon just a hunch, or a serious idea?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
11-05-2005, 05:28 PM,
There aren´t many evening races here either, S. but there should be more since it isn´t so hot at night. Actually, there´s a half marathon on Saturday 21st May at 6.30 pm in Almansa in the province of Albacete in Castilla La Mancha where Don Quixote comes from. I´ve already entered. It is one euro and it goes to an Alzheimer association. Although I´ve entered, I don´t know if I´ll be able to go.

Andy, I´m thinking seriously of taking part at a marathon next autumn. I´d like to go to Dublin since it´s a bank holiday and I like Ireland a lot but I won´t probably be able to go. So, I can go to Benidorm in November.It is amarathon a dn a half marathon so I can do just a half if I see I´m not fit enough.

I´ve read that you´ve entered Loch Ness marathon. It sounds great but too little time for me since I´d have to go to London, then to Inverness, back to London and Almería in just a weekend. When are you going back to London, A. ? I´d love to go although it is not easy for me.

I enjoyed your report on Hmaburg marathon. Well done!

Antonio

PS. I´m glad everybody is so motivated.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VII Carrera por la convivencia de la Cruz Roja Española Antonio247 2 4,111 24-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  III Carrera del desierto. Tabernas 5 April 2009 Antonio247 2 3,875 15-04-2009, 04:12 PM
  VI carrera de la Cruz Roja. 27 April 2008. Antonio247 8 5,747 19-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  XX Carrera San Sivestre El Ejido 29th Dec 2007 Antonio247 5 4,248 07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Carrera popular Aguamarga - Carboneras 2007 Antonio247 4 4,071 22-08-2007, 03:52 PM
  III Carrera popular Villa Inés Antonio247 10 6,110 26-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  I carrera por montaña. Atarfe 24-II-2007 Antonio247 14 8,181 15-03-2007, 09:14 PM
  III Carrera popular Villa Inés Antonio247 4 3,543 12-06-2006, 11:39 AM
  III carrera nocturna memorial José Zapata. Roquetas de Mar. 10 kms. Antonio247 6 4,260 08-05-2006, 05:12 PM
  IV Carrera popular de la Cruz Roja ( Red Cross ). Almería Antonio247 0 2,014 25-04-2006, 05:52 PM