Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racing in the UK?
19-05-2005, 02:55 PM,
Racing in the UK?
Hi Antonio

A while ago you said you might come over to the UK for another race in the autumn. I was wondering if you had thought any more about this. I'm trying to plan some races for the summer/autumn, and am wondering whether to include you in the plan.

If you don't think it will happen, fair enough. If you think you might get the chance to make it over, let me know some dates that you might be able to manage and I'll see what our options are.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-05-2005, 04:16 PM,
Racing in the UK?
Hello, Andy

I´d love to go to the UK. I was thinking of taking part at the Loch Ness marathon but I´d have to take too many flights and my wife doesn´t think I´ll be fit enough to run another marathon. Anyway, I could take part at a half marathon in September. The best date for me would be the last weekend of October since there´s a bank holiday here in Spain on 1st November. I could leave on Friday or Saturday and come back on Monday or even on Tuesday. I could also go the first weekends in September since classes don´t start until 15th of September.

Thank you very much for including me in your plans. Greetings to M. How´s her Spanish, by the way?

Regards

Antonio

19-05-2005, 04:51 PM,
Racing in the UK?
Hi Antonio

Excellent news.

September and October are good months for running in the UK. The summer heat (such as it is here Smile) has gone, but it's not cold. Good running weather. You also have the opportunity of seeing the autumnal leaves changing colour. End of October might be a better choice for me because we may be on holiday during the early part of September.

According to Runner's World, here are the races towards the end of October:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/fou...=&v=2&cp=5

The one that caught my eye is the Barns Green Half in Sussex. It's about 20 miles from where Nigel lives, and about 25 from Sweder/Andy, so they may be up for it too. It's supposed to be quite a scenic and friendly event.

http://www.barnsgreen-half.org.uk/

On the other hand, if you fancied a marathon, i could be open to persuasion about Dublin. It's only a month after Loch Ness, but if I took it really easy, I'm sure I could get round the course without killing myself. Dublin is an excellent city. The marathon is on the Monday (also a holiday in Ireland).

http://www.dublincitymarathon.ie/

Any thoughts anyone?

M asks after you. Her Spanish isn't going too well I'm afraid.....

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

19-05-2005, 10:57 PM,
Racing in the UK?
Yes, I'm looking for a couple of halfs in the Autumn. The Sussex one sounds ideal. There's also the Jog Shop Jog in Brighton (helpfully very near Gatwick, A) in October, as well as the Great South Run. I shall certainly take part in the JSJ as it's my long training run course and it's just too much fun to contemplate an actually race on it. Tough yet rewarding, and at only 20 miles a possible tempter for Antonio if he's not quite up to a Big One.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

20-05-2005, 06:29 AM,
Racing in the UK?
Hi Sweder,

The Jog Shop Jog on October 16th does sound tempting but the date may not be quite ideal for Antonio as he doesn't have a long weekend available then. But yep, it's a possibility. I'm not sure of my own availability for the race. It sounds like a great event but it comes just 2 weeks after the marathon - not exactly an ideal warm-down. Maybe I can wait around at the finish with a spade ready to shovel what's left of you back into your car....
El Gordo

20-05-2005, 04:58 PM,
Racing in the UK?
Thank you, Andy. I like both suggestions although the half marathon in Sussex would be easier to do fue to the distance and to get a flight but the Dublin marathon is a challlenge that I´d like to take. Perhaps Dublin marathon after Loch Ness marathon migh be too much in just 29 days. Anyway, I´m open to both possibilities. I´ve seen that Air Lingus will operate a flight from Dublin to Almería but only Saturdays and Wednesdays.

Greetings to M and I expect her Spanish will improve so that the next time you both come to Almería, we can speak in Spanish.

Regards

Antonio