Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mojácar 2005
01-09-2005, 09:56 PM,
Mojácar 2005
It is really great to part in the same race several consecutive years. Even though each race is different, it is interesting to see the atmosphere, the people you met in previous years, check if the course is the same, meet new friends, etc.

Last Saturday, 27th August, was a sunny lovely day. As the race was at 8 pm, I left from Almería at 4:30 to have a swim and sunbathe before it and arrived at Mojácar, a Moorish style white village on a hill, 85 km away from my hometown. While I was going to park my car, I met Riccardo and his wife Anna, whom I had met at this race two years before. They come from Italy but spend a few months at Aguamarga, another village near there.

http://www.viva-almeria.com/mojacar_pueblo_p21.php

After parking my car, I went up to the town square. There´s a wonderful view of the surroundings from up there. I filled in the entry form. It cost three euros this year while the previous years it had been free. Phillipe, a young man from France who spends his holidays at Mójacar beach, greeted me. We also met in the two previous races. He lives in Paris and has taken part in Paris half marathon in the last years doing 4 hours 20 minutes three years ago. He introduced me to his sister who recorded us with her video camera. I also met Paco, a friend of mine from Almería. He told me that the course was a bit different this year since we didn´t have to go along the seaside road, which meant one kilometre and a half less than last year.

Afterwards, a group of three British people asked me if I had taken part at Reading half marathon since I was wearing its T-shirt. They happened to be from Reading but they were living in the Albox area, in the northern part of the province of Almería where many Britons have settled. In fact, Richard, who was taking part at the race had also run Reading half several years and he took part at Almería half this year doing one hour thirty-five minutes, I think. There were other British runners around there. One of them was wearing a Wessex club T-shirt, which reminded me of Thomas Hardy´s books. I mentioned that I enjoy his books a lot. For instance, “The Mayor of Casterbridge”, “Far from the Madding Crowd”, etc. I think that fate is an important feature of Hardy´s novels.

At eight o´clock sharp, the race started. We wished each other good luck. There were around a hundred runners at the start line. The first part of the race was mainly downhill, especially the first two kilometres. So, everybody starts very fast although you have to be careful not to fall down because of the speed you can reach. I did them in only 9 minutes, which is really fast for my level.

There were a few orchards with orange trees still green and some fig trees by the road with a beautiful smell. I reached Phillipe and a friend of his. We talked a little but I couldn´t keep their pace, so I remained alone most of the race and sometimes I was overtaken by other runners. We sometimes talked a little and encouraged each other.

The course, after going behind the village, reached the main road that goes towards the seaside. There was a drinking station at that crossing. In fact, every 2.5 kilometres approximately there was one. After less than one kilometre, we took another less important road that took us to a neighbourhood with semi-detached houses where people clapped and encouraged us. We could see runners going back to the start. The first one was flying. He was José Antonio García Verdegay, on of the best rrunners in Almería. He owns a sports shop and organises a the “Villa Inés” race every year in June. He would arrive in thirty-five minutes. After the race, he told me that he thought the course was 9.1 km long. The second one appeared two or three minutes later. I also saw Richard and we both encouraged each other as well as Phillipe later. Finally, I arrived at the point where some volunteers wrote down our race numbers and we had to go back mainly uphill.

At once, there was another driniking station. I took another bottle and after drinking and throwing some water on my head, I deposited it in a waste paper basket. A girl who who was a volunteer at a crossing said : “Very well. I like men who are neat”. Actually, I don´t like seeing bottles along the course so I always wait to find a a waste paper basket or a rubbish bank to throw it in.

When we were around km 7; I saw a young man who couldn´t go on because he had had some strong discomfort in his calves. From there, we could see Mojácar up on the hill. It was a beautiful view with all the houses whitewashed but a bit discouraging to have to go uphill the last kilometres. We arrived at the main road but instead of going back along the same route, we went uphill along the main road which is quite steep. I remember that last year I had to do some one-minute walking but this year I managed to do the whole course without any walking.

Finally, I arrived at the finish in 55 minutes. There, I was given a T-shirt and a can of Aquarius. However, I´d noticed that runners had been given a bag with two T-shirts and a cap. I saw Phillipe and congratulated him. He had finished in fifty minutes. I commented about the goodie bag and he told me to tell the organisers. They told me that they didn´t have any more bags left. There were some bottles of water or cans of Cruzcampo beer over there. I just had a bottle of water apart from the Aquarius can.

There were three or four runners who arrived a few minutes after me. Riccardo was one of them. We congratulated each other. Afterwards, I met Richard and his friends Janet and Joe. Richard is quite fast. It took him just 39 minutes. We´ll probably meet in other races organised by Diputación de Almería and Cruzcampo. I also talked to Richard and Anna. We´re going to meet in Almería or Aguamarga to go for a run one day. While I was talking to them, Phillipe came and told me to wait for him because he was going to bring me a goodie bag. I told him not to worry about it but he insisted and brought me his own bag. I told him that I couldn´t accept it but he insisted so much that I couldn´t reject it although I gave him the white T-shirt since I already had one which I was wearing because I had sweated a lot. Merci beaucoup, Phillip! À l´année prochaine! Thank you very much, Phillipe! See you next year!

04-09-2005, 01:36 PM,
Mojácar 2005
Well done, Antonio, great report. You may remember that M and went off to Mojacar for a couple of days after Almeria in January (seems a long time ago now).

It's one of those Spanish places that are half Spain and half British. You're right - the village itself, half way up the hill, is absolutely spectacular. The scenery round there is stunning. Then down along the seafront you have the supermercados and the English bars. I had two really good runs along the front/beach which got me back on track after the half marathon. I woudn't much fancy running up that hill though...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-09-2005, 10:47 AM,
Mojácar 2005
Good run Antonio. Incidently the goalkeeper of our "futbol-sala" team is from Almeria. We're organizing a "partido de homenaje" for him this month because he's leaving El Bierzo to take up a new job in Cordoba.
Know anybody who plays in goal?
05-09-2005, 09:23 PM,
Mojácar 2005
Hello, Andy

I´m glad that my report on the Mojácar race brought you good memories of the days spent in that area after Almería half marathon. I had a very good time with all of you. It would be great if we all could meet again next year here or in the UK.

I´m looking forward to reading your ideas on nutrition. As a matter of fact, I´ve gained two or three kilos since Reading half. I usually get fatter in summer because I´m on holidays and due to the heat, I train less. As you know, I usually have fruit or a juice to start the day. However, along the day, I eat a lot of less healthy food such as cakes, biscuits, chocolate and the like which, if I managed to reduce or suppress, would make me get slimmer and reach those long-wished under 80 kilos not seen after getting married fifteen years ago when my weight was 78 kilos.

My aim for this season is to do a half marathon under two hours, to do London marathon or another one in spring if I´m not lucky in the ballot. I also intend to do “subida al veleta “ on foot next August. I could try a “one-hundred kilometre” race in 24 hours such as Ronda or Almería raid but taking it easy by jogging and walking a lot.

Hello, Simon
I´m sorry that your Almerian goalkeeper has to leave your team. I used to play “fútbol-sala” when I was a student at university long time ago. I also played as a goalkeeper. I found this kind of soccer more interesting than soccer because it was faster than real soccer.

Regards,

Antonio

05-09-2005, 09:49 PM,
Mojácar 2005
Hey Antonio, well run my friend!
Don't worry too much about the extra weight; Seafront Plodder is larger than ever and he's still playing semi-pro tennis. I hope we will come back to Almeria next January - I really enjoyed the whole experience. The race was a nice tough one for those of us who enjoy Christmas a little too much. I would like to run a sub 1:50 there next year (in fact I'd like to run a sub 1:50 half marathon anywhere next year!).

If you make the London ballot SP has a place and I'm sure he would like to run with you. If you are not successful, I have it in mind to run the Paris marathon. It is one week before London (early April) and places are supposed to be much easier to obtain.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-09-2005, 11:38 AM,
Mojácar 2005
Tis true, I am now the size of a small County, but fully intend to be there on the start line in Greenwich next April.

Let me know if you manage to get in Antonio, and the same goes for Suzie who I seem to recall is also trying for a place.
07-09-2005, 09:41 AM,
Mojácar 2005
I've got an open mind on Almeria 2006. I would definitely like us all to get together for a race somewhere. My instincts slightly prefer a new experience, but I would have no problems with Almeria again if that was the consensus. I also liked the sound of the 3 races in 3 days that JP Fuenteventura did in June in Lanzarote.

We can talk about options in more detail later on. Once I get back on the road I'm sure I'll feel more enthusiastic about planning.
El Gordo

07-09-2005, 10:30 AM,
Mojácar 2005
anlu247 Wrote:I´m looking forward to reading your ideas on nutrition.

Like you Antonio, I've had a bad summer when it comes to eating and, I'm sorry to say, drinking. I've started the long process of getting back to fitness.

I avoid 'diets', but am just trying to eat more sensibly. The one thing I've incorporated is The Antonio Plan, which consists of eating just fruit in the mornings. I bought a juicer a couple of weeks ago, and am getting into the habit of starting the day with some nice home-made fruit juice. Usually an apple and carrot base, with whatever else might be in the fridge - celery, melon, perhaps cucumber. Lemon, ginger or fennel in small quantites. Surprisingly filling. A big glass of that (say 400 or 500 ml), will last me till lunchtime. If I do still feel hungry, an apple does the job. For lunch I usually have a baked potato with tuna. Evenings we eat salads or a lot of vegetables, sometimes with chicken or bacon or mackerel. That's all very healthy, but like you, the problem is the sweet things. It's hard to resist chocolate and cakes, not to mention wine. The good thing is that when I get in the habit of eating well, I tend not to want these other things so much. I've been on this new regime for about a week now, and am definitely feeling better.
El Gordo

07-09-2005, 02:21 PM,
Mojácar 2005
I'm definitely running London next year - went the assured route through the overseas tour company. So Andy, I will be seeing you then, and hopefully you as well Antonio. Would be great fun to celebrate together - I'm looking forward to sitting around on the street after and having a beer. I didn't do that the last time and think I missed out on a great experience.

My running has kept consistent, but only around the 15-18 km. range. I'll be bumping that up soon as I'm already thinking (worrying) about London. The only good thing for me is that I train at a high altitude which does help when you run at sea level.

Suzie
07-09-2005, 05:17 PM,
Mojácar 2005
It would be great if you came next year for Almería half marathon but if you suggest somewhere else for a gathering, I´d try to go. There´s another half marathon in January near Alicante, at Santa Pola, which has a lot of prestige. It is usually one week before Almería half.

I´d love to go to London marathon and meet all of you there. Afterwards, we all could have lunch at a pub near the finish.

Andy, I´m glad you are eating more fruit and vegetables. I think that if you go on with a healthy diet and doing exercise, you will lose a few pounds and will feel better.

Saludos desde Almería Greetings from Almería

07-09-2005, 10:15 PM,
Mojácar 2005
Great to hear you're in for London, Suzie. Sounds like a Team Almeria re-union is on the cards. Although I doubt I'll run London (I'm fairly sure I'll go for Paris the week before) I will be there for the FLM as I will be cheering on my charity team and dishing out the tea and sandwiches at our recovery venue. By the way, 18K at the moment is roughly 9K more than the rest of us are managing (possibly accumulatively) - at least for myself, Andy and SP.

Nigel's been very quiet, although we did hear about a 20 miler not so long ago. There is a concensus that he may just pop up with an obscure marathon/ ultra race report some time soon, so what out. Antonio seems to enter a race every week or so at the moment so we know he's in pretty good shape.

Andy, that breakfast sounds hiddeous - but in view of my current girth I may need to follow suit. The 3 races sound like fun - but won't it be even hotter there in June than it is here in summer? Maybe not. Worth thinking about. I'm definately up for an early year half, be it Almeria or elsewhere.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

11-09-2005, 09:46 PM,
Mojácar 2005
It would be wonderful if you, Ashley, as any other forumites decided to come to Almería half marathon in January. I´m sure we´d have a good time here.

As far as breakfast is concerned, having fruit in the morning may seem strange but once you get used to it is really great. Besides, as Andy says, if you are hungry later, you can have some more fruit. It makes you feel lighter in the morning and it is useful to lose weight. At least, it worked for me a few years ago when I lost about 8 kilos in two or three months following the "Fit for Life" guidelines which, basicly, are:
a) Fruit in the morning and about thirty minutes before any meal.
b) You can have proteins with vegetables but not with carbohydrates
c) You can have carbohydrates with vegetables but not with proteins.
d) do some exercise every day.

In this book, the authors consider that dairy products and eggs are not good to be healthy but I don´t think that can be proved easily. They say that calcium from nuts is mujch better than that of milk.

The problem is that many dishes are composed of proteins and carbohydrates. However, if you eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, even if you don´t mix proteins and carbohydrates well, it will be enough to lose weight, be slimmer and feel better.

Regards

Antonio

11-09-2005, 10:37 PM,
Mojácar 2005
Just a personal thing, Sweder, but fruit for breakfast feels good to me. Seems like a natural, cleansing way to start the day. The juice is just an option when I want a change from grapefruit-chomping. Carrot and apple juice is sweet, and apart from the colour, I'm not sure you'd know it was carrot at all. The other ingredients are pretty optional - the point is that you can chuck in a bit of whatever's in your fridge. For me at least, it adds up to a really refreshing and filling drink.

Great news about London, Suzie. We'll definitely aim to meet up with you and whoever else is around that day, and celebrate your triumph. I haven't yet decided what I'm doing in the spring. Quite like the sound of Paris too, but I won't make a decision for ages yet. I need to shake myself down a bit after this failure of a summer. I have at least done a couple of runs now. The fightback begins...

Antonio - just out of interest, is there a website for the Santa Pola race? Also, is the Almeria date confirmed yet?
El Gordo

11-09-2005, 11:44 PM,
Mojácar 2005
andy Wrote:...........The other ingredients are pretty optional - the point is that you can chuck in a bit of whatever's in your fridge. For me at least, it adds up to a really refreshing and filling drink.

Guinness???
12-09-2005, 09:05 AM,
Mojácar 2005
I talked to the man in charge of Almería half marathon and he told me it will be on 29th January but it is still extraofficial. He assured me that there won´t be any change but I haven´t seen it written yet. He told me that in July.

There´s a web page on Santa Pola half marathon although they´re at works now. http://www.clubdeatletismo.com/

I´ve never done it but I´ve heard it is very flat and the atmosphere is very good. It is at the seaside near Elche and Alicante.

Regards

Antonio

16-09-2005, 09:08 AM,
Mojácar 2005
My husband ran in this 10k race and got a medal on the podium for coming 5th in the veterans, and an official photographer recorded the event. Is there a web site you know of that displays the photos taken on the night as I have to say my skills as a photographer appear to have been severely limited?
16-09-2005, 09:23 AM,
Mojácar 2005
Hello, Lynne

Congratulations to your husband! It´s a pity we didn´t meet at Mojácar. I´m afraid the photos are not in a website. You can have a look at this page to see the time and position of all the runners.

http://www.dipalme.org/Servicios/Informa...P-CIRCUITO

or in

http://www.todofondo.com/pruebas/ClasMojacar05.pdf

If I had taken photos,I´d send them to you but, unfortunately, I couldn´t take my camera.

Best wishes

Antonio

16-09-2005, 10:19 AM,
Mojácar 2005
Thanks for coming back so quickly - looking at the site he did it in 42'44" which is pretty good for an old boy - it took me that long to order and drink a beer in the square!

anlu247 Wrote:Hello, Lynne

Congratulations to your husband! It´s a pity we didn´t meet at Mojácar. I´m afraid the photos are not in a website. You can have a look at this page to see the time and position of all the runners.

http://www.dipalme.org/Servicios/Informa...P-CIRCUITO

or in

http://www.todofondo.com/pruebas/ClasMojacar05.pdf

If I had taken photos,I´d send them to you but, unfortunately, I couldn´t take my camera.

Best wishes

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mojácar 2006 Antonio247 17 8,201 19-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Last Post: johnb
  San Silvestre El Ejido 2005 Antonio247 0 1,930 01-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Benidorm half marathon. 27th Nov 2005. Antonio247 5 4,175 01-12-2005, 10:35 PM
  I duatlón de montaña Aulago. 1 Oct 2005 Antonio247 8 4,744 17-10-2005, 09:01 PM
  Alcolea 2005 Antonio247 0 1,490 15-09-2005, 05:03 PM
  Mojácar 10 km Antonio247 1 2,074 30-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Last Post: El Gordo