Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcolea 2005
15-09-2005, 05:03 PM,
Alcolea 2005
Last Sunday, 11th September, I took part in another race organised by Cruzcampo beer and Diputación provincial, a sort of government of the province. The date brings back terrible tragedies such as the flood that happened more than one century ago in Almería when the “Rambla” was filled with water and some people died. This “Rambla” was diverted and covered and is where the “Five go to Almería “ photo was taken. Another tragedy happened this day as well. It was in Santiago de Chile and General Pinochet gave a coup d´Etat flinging President Allende down and starting his dictatorship. However, the most well-known tragedy is the terrorist attacks that happened in the USA four years ago. Oh, September morn! If only we all could live peacefully!

When I was running along those roads in Alcolea, a little town near The Alpujarras and Sierra Nevada, I was thinking about this date that brings back so terrible memories.

http://www.viva-almeria.com/alcolea_p3599.php

It was a beautiful September morning. It wasn´t hot but it was sunny. On the way to Alcolea and back to Almería, I saw a few pilgrims walking, some of them barefoot, who were going to Dalías to worship “Cristo de la Luz” ( Christ of Light ) although the feast is on Sunday 18th when there is an important celebration with a procession and a lot of fireworks at night.

http://www.viva-almeria.com/dalias_p3718.php

I arrived at Alcolea at about 9:45. There were a few people in sports clothes. I walked to the church square where I filled in my entry and was given my race number. I got back to my car where I saw other runners warming up. One of them asked me if I had taken part at Almería´s 24 hours on bicycle. He told me that we had met at the jeep that took us back towards Almería. I recognised him. He was Alejandro. I saw that they had picked up a bag with a T-shirt and a cap. So, I went back to the start line and asked for mine and took it back to the car and went back jogging to the start line where I met Alejandro and his friends again. We talked a little about the competitions we were planning to do and, at 10:30, the race started.

There were about 40 runners but I couldn´t keep the pace of the last one, so I went alone all the course, about 9.4 km. We went down the centre towards a small road surrounded by olive groves. Just one kilometre away, there was a drinking station with bottles of water. The first two kilometres were mainly downhill but afterwards it was uphill and downhill to finish going up the street to the church.

After four or five kilometres we reached a more important road where there was another drinking station. Then, we took another less important road that was also surrounded by olive groves and a few almond trees and chestnut trees. Then, I arrived at a crossroad where there were cars waiting for me to pass. Some people cheered me. Then, I took the road that led to the town. A runner who had finished and was in his car cheered me as the old people sitting on the benches at the village also did. One of them said “ Ánimo. No importa que seas el último.” “Courage. It doesn´t matter you´re the last one”. I got to the square and many people clapped at me. I had some water and a can of alcohol-free beer Buckler while I was talking to other runners I met that morning. We saw the prize giving and clapped the winners in all the categories.

I had a good time although I missed other races and places where there are more people who go at a slow pace like myself.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  San Silvestre El Ejido 2005 Antonio247 0 1,931 01-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Benidorm half marathon. 27th Nov 2005. Antonio247 5 4,175 01-12-2005, 10:35 PM
  I duatlón de montaña Aulago. 1 Oct 2005 Antonio247 8 4,744 17-10-2005, 09:01 PM
  Mojácar 2005 Antonio247 17 7,803 16-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Lynne Hill School