well it makes you think...
22-07-2009, 01:58 PM,
I'll be anxiously waiting to hear how you like running in them. I plan on dashing out this weekend to find a pair.

Suzie
27-07-2009, 02:06 PM,
This is all well and good, but I think the important part of the article was the fact that Jim Fixx died tragicaly young, despite being an obviously fit person. And I can tell you this much from personal experience: if you have any family history of heart disease, running is not an antidote! In fact, don't muck about - at least know your cholesterol levels. It's a very simple, very cheap test, and it's all too easy to think that because you're fit and healthy the heart is going to be OK. It doesn't work that way. Not at all. A genetic disposition to coronary disease is not negated by running. Scary but true. Even scarier - you don't get any early symptoms. The first you know of it is when you have a heart attack, stroke or angina. By then the damage is done. Have it checked - your mother has spoken.

On the subject of flats and bare-foot running, I have oftened pondered this. It feels great to run bare foot - quite natural and normal, but it seems to only be good for short distances, which is why I guess sprinters wear flats and distance runners don't. I think (but am not sure) that it's simply more efficient to heel strike when covering longer distances, which is why we wear the shoes we do.

I tried running a long 'un barefoot on the beach once, but very quickly scoured the skin off the balls of my feet. I would like to try it again in flats, but my podiatrist has warned me off doing so. I can't remember exactly the reason he gave, but it made sense at the time!

Run. Just run.
27-07-2009, 11:29 PM,
Good shout re cholesterol.
I assumed my blood pressure would be tip top - when I was fit - but was mortified to learn on checking it was 'OK at best.'

We assume we know what's best for us yet few of us would try to fix a computer, a car or even brew our own beer without professional guidance.

So far so good with the barefoot skins.
Early days but I love the feeling when running on grass. More testing this week.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

30-01-2010, 10:14 PM,
RE: well it makes you think...
More media attention on this issue...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8483401.stm
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v46...08723.html
01-02-2010, 10:06 AM,
(30-01-2010, 10:14 PM)marathondan Wrote: More media attention on this issue...

I'm keen to renew my dalliance with the Vibrams. Brought them out to Almeria - will take them along this afternoon for the recovery run, though five miles over rough terrain the day after a half might be wee bit ambitious.

01-02-2010, 10:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2010, 10:38 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(01-02-2010, 10:06 AM)Sweder Wrote:
(30-01-2010, 10:14 PM)marathondan Wrote: More media attention on this issue...

I'm keen to renew my dalliance with the Vibrams. Brought them out to Almeria - will take them along this afternoon for the recovery run, though five miles over rough terrain the day after a half might be wee bit ambitious.

This was playing as I read this thread and thought it appropriate (maybe)... my favourite Smith's track...

Run. Just run.
01-02-2010, 11:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2010, 11:14 AM by Bierzo Baggie.)
The Smiths,
yep, bigger than the Beatles (if you're an eighties child that is). They've got quite a following in El Bierzo.. shame that Mozz-head is such a knobhead.

Anyway, just to add my tuppence to the debate, running on tarmac, concrete or any other man-made surface is not natural for our bodies and will f##k you up, state of the art cushioning or not. Don't do it kids....errr, rant overConfused
01-02-2010, 04:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2010, 04:36 PM by El Gordo.)
(01-02-2010, 11:13 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: The Smiths,
yep, bigger than the Beatles (if you're an eighties child that is). They've got quite a following in El Bierzo.. shame that Mozz-head is such a knobhead.

Anyway, just to add my tuppence to the debate, running on tarmac, concrete or any other man-made surface is not natural for our bodies and will f##k you up, state of the art cushioning or not. Don't do it kids....errr, rant overConfused

This is getting to be a bit like 'sensible eating', when the mass of conflicting studies and opinions make it hard to know what to do for the best. We've decided that Almeria is a very 'hard' course, being nearly all concrete. Most of my road plodding at home is tarmac which apparently is a little more forgiving than concrete.

It would be nice to have the luxury of all trail running. I do have the canal towpath which is a good surface but if you're doing road races, you do need to train on roads. My favourite running terrain is Bracknell Forest (I've done the summer 5 mile race a couple of times with Nigel). Nice soft surface, no motor traffic, beneath a canopy of trees. Would happily run there permanently if only it was a bit closer to home.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-02-2010, 12:16 PM,
(01-02-2010, 04:36 PM)El Gordo Wrote: ...but if you're doing road races, you do need to train on roads.

Is that really true though? Isn't it possible to restrict yourself to hard surfaces only on race day? I think that's Sweder's general philosophy.
02-02-2010, 01:22 PM,
Almeria's hardcore streets exact a heavy toll. My legs are hammered hamburger. Suspect an element of hardtop 'conditioning' is wise council.

02-02-2010, 06:30 PM,
I'm pretty much convinced that you have to train for race conditions. Just as you have to train on hills for a hilly race, you need to train on bitumen for a road race. I also agree with the notion that while barefoot running may be "natural", running on bitumen/concrete is not, and there is merit in the cushioned, heel-strike shoe approach.
Run. Just run.
02-02-2010, 10:01 PM,
I didn't mean that all running should be done on hard surfaces. I'm no expert but am just passing on the wisdom of Phil the sports masseur and trainer who mentioned to me that to run road races, you should aim to run at least one 3 or 4 mile training run a week on the road to help condition your legs. It does seem to make sense.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-02-2010, 02:30 PM,
I run 5-6 miles a week on the road with the rest being on the Downs (grass, mud and gravel mainly). I strongly believe that you can produce good road race times from training on the Downs. Before London Marathon in 1992 when I set my pb 90% of my training was off road, with a couple of road races thrown in (Worthing 20 and Brighton Half).

I also believe that off-road running greatly reduces the risk of injury.

Before Brighton Marathon I am only planning two longer distance road races - Almeria Half and Hastings Half. I will be saving my road legs for the marathon itself.
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
09-02-2010, 03:37 PM,
Well that explains it. No wonder you're such a good runner Julie if you've been doing it since 1992. most of us were beer-swilling slobs back then.

Nothing really changes. Big Grin
09-02-2010, 06:26 PM,
(09-02-2010, 03:37 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: Well that explains it. No wonder you're such a good runner Julie if you've been doing it since 1992. most of us were beer-swilling slobs back then.

I resemble that remark

25-02-2010, 01:09 PM,
My good friend and recent running convert Ronan sent me another Barefoot link today. The groundswell of interest (if not support) continues. He's invited me to join his team for the 20K of Brussels - a tough race (surprisingly hilly) that certainly won't be a candidate for the Vibrams as it's on horribly hard standing.

Here's the link:
http://barefootted.com/uploaded_images/F...735560.jpg

I've just ordered Born to Run from Amazon - at long last!
Plan to renew aquaintance with Barefoot running soon ...