Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mar 09 - When The Going Gets Tough...
10-03-2009, 11:43 AM,
Mar 09 - When The Going Gets Tough...
Week 11 of 18 in the bag, with one short run missed. Not a bad result in retrospect, due to pressures of work, family, and taking on one or too silly things that I perhaps oughtn’t have. The coming week will probably be a similar story.

Saturday night was the 16 miler, banked in 3:57 marathon pace. It became clear to me that it’s now all about the legs. Stamina-wise I was 100% comfortable, but from around 12 miles I could feel every step passing through my quads and hammies. Not stiff or damaged, just every mile piling a bit more soreness on the transmission system. So the real effort was overcoming that… let’s call it discomfort at this stage. Race day, I know, will bring a final hour of pure burning in those muscles. Still, chin up! It’ll be fun!

BBC podcasts again soothed my ears, the highlight this time being the return of the Now Show, and the highlight squared being Mitch Benn’s Barry-White-esque ode to Gail Trimble. Tom Robinson’s Introducing show carried me through the last half hour or so, with, rather unusually for me, some spacey drum ‘n’ bass wafting me up my street and to the front door.

Not so keen now on the fruit jellies – popping one of the sugary tooth-cloggers every mile is getting to be a bit of a chore. Time to order a box of gels methinks.

This week is a step-back, and only 12 miles for the long run. How fantastic that, with only 4 months' application, one can go from dreading a 12-miler to regarding it as a pleasant relaxation. A testament to the human body, but more so, I think, to the human mind.

Messages In This Thread
Mar 09 - When The Going Gets Tough... - by Nick - 02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Mar 09 - When The Going Gets Tough... - by marathondan - 10-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Mar 09 - When The Going Gets Tough... - by Sweder - 10-03-2009, 10:43 PM