Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The History Boys - one for Glaconman
27-04-2007, 02:51 PM,
The History Boys - one for Glaconman
GM - Some films are undoubtedly best seen on a big screen (Lawrence of Arabia, Paris Texas, Touching The Void spring to mind, and I'm sure there are tons more), but the sad fact is that 95% of movies I watch are on the small screen. There are huge swathes of the country where it's impossible to see a non-mainstream movie in your local cinema. So while it may be ideal to see films in the cinema, I have to put up with DVD/TV pretty much as standard.

Regarding The History Boys, it has to be said that I wouldn't have seen it if it hadn't been filmed, so I'm very glad it was. If my situation is a representave microcosm then I guess that's one answer to your question -- that it brings the work to a wider audience. I wouldn't take seriously the pursuit of awards as a reason to turn a play into a film, but commercial reasons? Yes, definitely. Why not? Unless a film maker is wealthy enough to amuse himself with vanity projects, I guess there has to be a commercial impetus behind film-making, even if this means just trying to avoid making a loss (rather than expecting to make a big profit).

The thing is, seeing it in the theatre would have been a quite different artistic experience from the film, and I just don't see what's wrong with that. I could also pick up the screenplay in book form and read that with enjoyment too. Supposing it had never been a play, but had been written for the cinema (and I don't know that it wasn't), then we wouldn't have been having this discussion.

I hesitate before saying this, but I just wonder if (given your recent excellent recommendations) you're currently in an English working class groove, and the History Boys represented a kind of irrelevant bourgeois decadence?

Maybe I'm not critical enough, but I think its absolutely possible to be enriched and entertained by Shane Meadows and by the writing of Alan Bennett, just as I can enjoy beer and wine -- even though I may well use different criteria to judge them by.

If I'm honest, sometimes I just want to be entertained and not particularly challenged. I suspect This Is England will be quite uncomfortable viewing, even though I'm sure it will be 'a good film', and I'll be glad to have seen it.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Messages In This Thread
The History Boys - one for Glaconman - by Sweder - 01-04-2007, 08:18 AM
The History Boys - one for Glaconman - by Sweder - 26-04-2007, 02:55 PM
The History Boys - one for Glaconman - by Sweder - 26-04-2007, 07:13 PM
The History Boys - one for Glaconman - by Sweder - 26-04-2007, 10:18 PM
The History Boys - one for Glaconman - by Sweder - 27-04-2007, 10:20 AM
The History Boys - one for Glaconman - by Sweder - 27-04-2007, 02:08 PM
The History Boys - one for Glaconman - by Sweder - 27-04-2007, 02:20 PM
The History Boys - one for Glaconman - by El Gordo - 27-04-2007, 02:51 PM
The History Boys - one for Glaconman - by Sweder - 27-04-2007, 02:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running: a global history The Beast of Bevendean 10 5,787 03-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Last Post: The Beast of Bevendean
  Andrew Marr's History of Modern Britain El Gordo 3 2,018 27-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Nigel