Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July - hmmm
01-07-2007, 05:09 PM,
July - hmmm
A tough weekend. Andy's sodden 10k yesterday – I breached 47 minutes.

The first K performed with the bloggers arrayed, a gentle start on a flat, fast course. Being a race though I couldn't resist and kicked on.
Overtook lots of people as I put in a strong first half, felt quicker then the sub 25 mins. displayed and I pushed on again - the 2nd loop of the lake whizzed by. I espied the 3 amigos chugging as I entered the finishing 2k, waved to no avail - they were oblivious, Ash - gently clearing his hangover, Niguel and Andy ambling alongside enjoying the occasion.

A slow time compared to past achievements, but a good step in the right direction. Need more short, fast runs to improve overall - much as I dislike them. A necessary evil for any serious training regime.

Anyway a lovely glass of champagne followed, cunningly chilled to perfection in Andy’s boot. A great pub lunch in Eton gratiously donated by Andy – a lovely way to celebrate his 50th.

Whisked off about 2pm, also had a 30th celebration that evening. Ash had a lovely doze while I vainly battled the elements on the return journey.

Wadhurst wallow.
Bewl 15 – a bit of a misnomer, actually 14.2 miles – it was far enough.

The weather abated as Rog-air sped us to Wadhurst and we hurriedly entered. Limit being 500 this was extended with handwritten numbers fortunately. Can’t wait to see the photos.

Contrast to last years 30 degree heat – perfect conditions but some parts treacherous underfoot.

10:30am, just before the off.
A minutes silence was called for, one 75 year old runner who had the vets category course record had passed away. Respect due and we were off – I started cautiously
and settled into my rhythm, felt particularly fatigued from yesterday’s exertions.

Rog’s yellow beany flying away ahead of me, my last sight of his bonce until the showers. He is running extremely well and about 6 times a week, he is also on some fast – with no alcohol, fags and anything remotely naughty allowed. He’s lost half a stone and is in particularly fine fettle.

The route around the Bewl reservoir is a perfect event, one I used to run with a friend of mine before this race started. He was there today, my yearly get together and then he was off, he has also lost a lot of weight and flew round in 1:45. I got to 6 miles and broke for a gel, swigging down water and sponged my brow – the walk/drink strategy suiting my mood. I didn’t struggle as much as last year, but it was tough. Some 2-3 miles of undulating road with some stiff ascents didn’t help. I manfully chugged up these and crept up to the 13 mile marker. I kept saying to myself just get to the last field ascent mile which is also the 1st mile and walk it. I loped up this and pushed onto the finish 2:04, 10 minutes faster than last year – Rogair 1:57, about 30 mins quicker than last year. The bugger, I need to crank up the mileage to keep up with this energetic 50 year old. He has entered Beachy Head, so a few months to get my act together and some sweet revenge – nothing like a bit of competition to get you motivated.

I was planning a marathon this month, but will conserve my resources until October.
Have Henfield Half, Jog shop Jog lined up as preparation – July looks to be a month for consolidation and upping the ante.
Moyleman

Messages In This Thread
July - hmmm - by Moyleman - 01-07-2007, 05:09 PM
July - hmmm - by Nigel - 02-07-2007, 09:23 PM
July - hmmm - by El Gordo - 02-07-2007, 10:45 PM
July - hmmm - by Moyleman - 08-07-2007, 06:06 PM
July - hmmm - by Ana - 11-07-2007, 08:06 AM
July - hmmm - by Moyleman - 15-07-2007, 05:37 PM
July - hmmm - by Moyleman - 20-07-2007, 05:46 PM
July - hmmm - by Moyleman - 29-07-2007, 11:23 AM