Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilmslow - think this got lost in an earlier thread
14-04-2008, 11:03 AM,
Wilmslow - think this got lost in an earlier thread
Wilm-Slow part 1

The weather on Saturday before the Wilm-Slow had me dashing to re-proof my running jacket, it looked certain that the race would be a washout. Not only did I have to get up an hour earlier, courtesy of the start of BST but I would most likely be wind buffeted and drowned along the way. Why exactly was I doing this? Deciding what to wear was a nightmare, I laid out a long sleeved thermal top and my London A-Z running vest and a long sleeved running top, leggings, twin skinned socks and the newly proofed jacket. I pinned my number to the vest as that, together with the leggings and the socks were the only items I was definitely going to use, the possible permutations for the rest of the stuff would be very much weather dependant.

Sleep was fitful Saturday night, I was worried about sleeping through the alarm and worried about the race in general, although I planned to keep this strictly as a training run, I wasn’t even sure that I would make the distance not having run 13 miles in a very long time. When the alarm did eventually go off I reluctantly peeled myself from the warm duvet nest and stumbled downstairs to put the kettle on. Two mugs of tea and two slices of toast later I was starting to feel a little more human and also noticed that far from the promised tempest the weather was gorgeous, bright sunshine, but with a cool stiffish breeze. Decided on wearing the light weight long sleeved running top under the A-Z vest, with the addition of the jacket which is very light weight but does have the advantage of pockets - useful for stashing jelly babies- and I could sling round my waist should I begin to glow a bit towards the end. Added my Hilly waist belt to store car keys, lucozade sport pouch, couple of gels, lipsalve, cuddly toy etc.

I had planned to park at the Rugby club as per the pre-race instructions, but because of Saturday’s foul weather they were unable to use the pitch for parking so I was directed by some rather officious marshals on to a side road in the middle of nowhere. Had to ask directions to get to the start area. I’d left plenty of time for loo queuing, lace tightening etc, so there was time to do a reccie and make sure I would be able to find my way back to the car afterwards.
Phew this is hard work !

Messages In This Thread
Wilmslow - think this got lost in an earlier thread - by stillwaddler - 14-04-2008, 11:03 AM