Low carb / Maffetone / other regimes
23-07-2017, 11:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 23-07-2017, 11:53 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE: Low carb / Maffetone / other regimes
(23-07-2017, 08:23 AM)Imarathondan Wrote: Interesting... where does heart disease fit into the picture? Risk due to high intake of saturated fat is offset by risk reduction due to not being overweight?

Let me preface this by (again) saying that if you do not know your cholesterol level and your blood pressure, then you are bloody stupid. These are the two leading indicators of coronary risk and you absolutely need to know what they are. For all its undoubted and undisputed benefits, running simply will not prevent you keeling over from a heart attack if you have a genetic predisposition for it; which is why you absolutely must have an annual check-up if you have even a slight familial history of heart disease. No question. Just fucking do it.

There is still debate about the impact of saturated fats on coronary disease. All I can say is based on my own experience, which does not necessarily indicate what the results would be for you. You simply must find out what your risks are and how to minimise them. That said, when I first discovered I had a genetic risk of heart disease and (at the insistence of my doctor) went on a very low-fat diet, the result was that my cholesterol levels soared. Restoring "normal" levels of fat restored them to slightly high, but not significantly risky levels.

Since going on the Maffetone high-fat, low-carbohydrate regime, my cholestoral levels remain normal. My blood pressure is superb, and my last high-res heart scan was likened to that of "someone in their 20s".

For me, then, the results are obvious: restrict sugar, eat plenty of fat, and expect a long and healthy life. You, however, need to find out what is best for you. And only you can do that. Oh, and keep running. Running is really, really good for you, too. Just get the ticker checked, no matter how fit you are.
Run. Just run.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Low carb / Maffetone / other regimes - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 23-07-2017, 11:48 AM