Low carb / Maffetone / other regimes
16-07-2017, 04:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017, 05:00 PM by El Gordo.)
Low carb / Maffetone / other regimes
Dear All,

The subject of Phil Maffetone's endurance-building training methods have been aired a good few times here, and particularly the low-carb-based nutrition. I was trying to read some of the earlier contributions but they are dotted about all over the place. (I should have collected the links and posted them here. Maybe I will.)

Anyway, the reason for posting this is that about 10 days ago, I returned from a week and a bit in Northern Blighty, filled with fish & chips and excellent ale, and realised that at 235 pounds, was heavier than I've ever been. I'm writing a blog post about it, but I'll mention that one of the highlights was a visit to the great Glaconman, whose lovely wife, a prodigious runner-turned-cyclist, ordered me to get myself sorted out. I also hit 60 during the trip, which concentrates the mind. Something must be done, I thought. Yes, I've thought this many times before, but this time, especially with the calendar clicking round to that fearful point, there is a sense that, there can be no excuses.

I started a fairly standard low-carb diet a day or two after I got back, and so far, I've shed more than 10 pounds. A good start, but I'm thinking I need to get a bit more methodical about it. I know a few people here have toyed with Maffetone, notably MLCMM, and other related regimes. How are people getting on? Have you stuck with it? Any tips or warnings? I thought it might be useful to have a thread about these regimes as otherwise, some excellent information gets lost in the training diaries. But I'd give Maffetone a go if it's right for me.

How seriously have people followed this sort of regime. I see that Maffetone urges people to eschew "costly, built-up running shoes", and to wear flats instead. Have you done this? 

That said, no need to restrict to Maffetone. For instance, the great Tim Noakes has written a corker of a book called The Real Meal Revolution, which I've recently consumed. He's a noted ultramarathon runner of course, but this book majors on food. The message will be a familiar one to low carbists. There's loads of Noakes stuff on YouTube, and here's one of a lecture he gave to students in Sweden[url=https://urskola.se/Produkter/183316-UR-Samtiden-Naring-for-halsa-och-prestation-Konsten-att-paverka-halsan][/url]. Quite long, but his story's an interesting one, and worth a watch IMO.

I'm feeling motivated, people. I didn't want to post anything until I had at least a few pounds lost, and it's possibly still a little premature, but I've been easing my way back into rowing, and am already feeling the effects of having shed the first few pounds. I'm even allowing myself to wonder about getting my running shoes on again -- though not yet. Perhaps once I've lost another 10 I might try it.

So. That's it. Any thoughts?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Messages In This Thread
Low carb / Maffetone / other regimes - by El Gordo - 16-07-2017, 04:57 PM