Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St Swithin's Day and beyond
15-07-2010, 02:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-07-2010, 02:27 PM by stillwaddler.)
St Swithin's Day and beyond
So what have I been doing since the Brighton marathon way back in April?
Well, I have applied for and got accepted for Brighton next year, and unbeknown to me Mr SW has done the same. I have put on about 4 pounds in weight in addition to the 4 pounds or so that I put on training for the marathon that makes me at least half a stone heavier than this time last year, it makes me feel a little glum, but Mr SW is nearly 3 stone heavier than when he did London with me way back in 2006Big Grin

I have been running. I have got out at a couple of times a week every week since April but for nothing longer than 5 miles or so. I have been enjoying my running and am still feeling reasonably fit but seem to have been so busy doing other stuff that running has taken a bit of a back seat. I have done a stone sculpture course, spent hours at my allotment, mostly watering during the long drought here in the North West, still at least it proved it doesn’t always rain in Manchester! Made loads of ice cream, sorbets, jam etc from fruit from the lottie, attended umpteen orchestral rehearsals for the concert on Saturday (Brahms 4, Tchaik. Romeo and Juliet and Korngold Violin concerto (the last one is pants) and I’ve cycled to work each day. So I haven’t been idle.

I have bought and read “Born to Run” I really enjoyed the story lines but I remain unconvinced that running barefoot is the way for me to go personally. In my hippy-ish teenage youth I mostly went barefoot all summer long, - much to my Mother’s distaste. I lived on the coast in North Norfolk at the time so the pavements etc were fairly clean. At school we were only allowed in the gym barefoot, I remember that playing basket ball in bare feet used to leave some impressive friction blisters under my big toes. I naturally plant my heels rather heavily and did even when I was a 7stone 3 waif. That’s the way I walk, and that’s the way I run. I suppose I could be re-educated but at my age and considering I mostly run on pavements, I don’t think the benefits would be that great. I’m quite happy wearing my Asics Gel Kyanos, in fact they suit me so well I forget they are on my feet, I don’t suffer from back ache, knee pain or any of the other usual problems when wearing them(touch wood!) I also have a sneaking suspicion that if I tried barefoot running my plates might end up looking like this: see attachment
http://therunningbarefoot.com/
If I look after my feet I hope to get in a few more years running before I have to hang up the Kyanos (incidentally I just bought another pair on Sports Direct they had nearly 40 squid off the normal priceSmile )

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phew this is hard work !

Messages In This Thread
St Swithin's Day and beyond - by stillwaddler - 15-07-2010, 02:25 PM
RE: St Swithin's Day and beyond - by marathondan - 15-07-2010, 09:42 PM
RE: St Swithin's Day and beyond - by Sweder - 19-07-2010, 11:15 AM
RE: St Swithin's Day and beyond - by stillwaddler - 19-07-2010, 03:36 PM
RE: St Swithin's Day and beyond - by stillwaddler - 24-08-2010, 02:26 PM
RE: St Swithin's Day and beyond - by stillwaddler - 23-09-2010, 03:43 PM
RE: St Swithin's Day and beyond - by Sweder - 23-09-2010, 03:57 PM