Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July 2010 - We're all in this together
09-07-2010, 12:17 PM,
RE: July 2010 - We're all in this together
Good plan EG. I think cycling will help to ease the process of getting back into your running which we all know can be difficult. With Le Tour on telly and the sun shining there's no better time.

I'm not sure about keeping the flag held high, that's somewhat of an overstatement. In truth I'm just making tentative steps back into some running; not entirely sure how well my foot has healed or when it might flare-up again.

My physio urged me to make tiny increments to my efforts. And I don't think running hard for 3 hilly miles carrying a bale of straw with a bellyfull of beer is really doing that. Nor was last nights training session where I went tearing after runners who've been running regularly and well for the last 4 months.

After a bad injury and long lay-off I should take stock and try and learn from the experience. Maybe these are the lessons:

1. All that talk of reps and speed-work etc was just frustration at not being able to run. That stuff is fine-tuning for elite athletes. What I need to concentrate on is keeping myself injury-free and enjoy being out on the hills. Simple.

2. The body needs time to adapt and the emphasis should be on gradual improvement.

3. With road running every foot-strike is the same. This magnifies bio-mechanical issues and increases the likelihood of injury. So as much off-road training as possible must be done where each foot-strike is different.

4. Reducing the profile of shoes and trying barefoot running is also something that should be done with caution. I'm back to thick trainers to protect my foot. And I'm unsure if I'll ever have the confidence to go down that route again. Although I'm still very enthusiastic about the arguments around it.

5. If I want to enjoy regular running again I'm going to have to do less of it. This means doing more cycling and at least one gym session per week to build up strength. Cycling up hills has been proven to be very effective training for running and core strength makes people better runners and less injury prone.

6. I need to do more easy runs that help the body recover and build fitness. Running hard all the time can be counter-productive and I become a victim of my own competitive nature. It's a very one-dimensional way to run.

7. Diet and weight are just as important as training. I'm always amazed at how easy running is after illness when I've lost weight dramatically. And it becomes so much more enjoyable.

I think that's enough to be going on with. Nothing new there but it helps to get these things down on paper and reflect on them; even if I come across as abit self-righteous at times Smile

I've promised myself some easy mileage during July; but these valleys are awash with short village gala fell races at this time of the year so it's going to be very difficult to keep that promise. I'm itching to get out there ...

Short Film of Cliffe Castle XC Course<\a>

Messages In This Thread
RE: July 2010 - We're all in this together - by glaconman - 09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Baggy Callards - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 11-07-2010, 07:40 PM
RE: Baggy Callards - by El Gordo - 12-07-2010, 07:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2010, April El Gordo 0 2,184 05-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2010, February -> The clifftop path El Gordo 4 4,597 27-02-2010, 02:32 PM
  2010, January: the road to Molly Malone's Antonio247 82 78,074 12-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  2007 - July El Gordo 8 6,016 21-07-2007, 04:56 PM
  2006 - July El Gordo 7 4,215 10-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler