Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
February
08-02-2010, 01:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2010, 01:25 PM by stillwaddler.)
Star  February
Mid week training was ok – had to curtail the Tuesday one in exchange for a check up with the doc about my bones.

Friday night saw us enjoying cocktails in the Sky Bar followed by a gorgeous meal at the Hilton in Manchester, had a great time, but probably not the best preparation for a 15 mile training run the following day.

Saturday morning dawned bright and warmish just for a change. I lingered in bed just a tad too long, but decided to show willing. Breakfast was toast and honey and a large mug of tea. Kit was rounded up and shrugged on. Garmin fished out and placed on top of the bird table in the garden to find the satellites before needed. Trouble was, by the time I went out to fetch it, it was showing there was only an hours charge left in the blinking thing. Took it back inside, plugged it in to the charger and hung around for an hour. Mr SW arrived back from his gym class amazed that I still hadn’t left the house.

Gathered up the Garmin, plonked it back on the bird table and fastened my shoes. 10 minutes later I strapped on the GPS and set off at last. Half a mile into the run I realised I hadn’t had a pee before I left…fatal, I now couldn’t think of anything else – should I head back? Should I plod on? I plodded on but doubled back after a while when I remembered a local park had perfectly respectable loos. However, the loos were so respectable that they were locked – probably so they stay pristine over the weekend. Nothing else for it but to find a secluded spot in the park for a quick Paula…you guys have it so easy.

I plodded on, conscious that I should be running slowly in order to make sure I covered the distance. Big mistake. I never got into any sort of rhythm, every junction I came to it seemed I had to stop and wait for a car. The next loo stop – one of those coin in the slot types that wash the floor after every use - was also locked so had to detour to Sainsburys. My legs were both stiff and leaden, calves were particularly tight and didn’t get any better even after stopping to stretch.

Part of my chosen route goes through a park that I occasionally use for hill reps at lunch times, the loos are open during the week, so out of curiosity I checked them out on Saturday, yes you’ve guessed it locked and barred despite the park being full of families. Why? (Must remember to email the council.)

If this post seems to be overly concerned with plumbing establishments you’d be right. Before I had finished I had an even more urgent but awkward need to visit another WC, so I headed home. Afterwards it was so hard to head out of the door again to finish the last 3.5 painful miles. 15 slow and wretched miles banked. I slept like a baby on Saturday night.

I really do feel that I started out too slowly. I should perhaps try to relax into a more normal pace and worry about the distance later. More than that ‘though – why am I doing this at all? At 58 in less than a week shouldn’t I just settle for putting my feet up? I am having serious doubts.
Phew this is hard work !

Messages In This Thread
February - by stillwaddler - 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM
RE: February - by El Gordo - 08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
RE: February - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 08-02-2010, 06:13 PM
RE: February - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 08-02-2010, 06:21 PM
RE: February - by Sweder - 08-02-2010, 11:20 PM
RE: February - by stillwaddler - 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM
RE: February - by marathondan - 01-03-2010, 09:59 PM
RE: February - by stillwaddler - 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
RE: February - by Sweder - 02-03-2010, 05:46 PM
RE: February - by El Gordo - 02-03-2010, 10:24 PM