Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bit of a mare
23-09-2004, 03:05 PM,
Bit of a mare
For my money, the lack of sleep was probably just as important. I rarely get as much as sleep as I'm supposed to, and usually survive on about 6 hours, but if for some reason it's much less than this (and 4 hours would qualify as insufficient), I almost never manage a decent run. The 3 or 4 times over the past 3 years that I've jacked in a run within a mile or two of starting have all been down to a lack of sleep.

That said, 11.5 miles on a banana and a glass of water just isn't enough for most people. Trouble is, if you're planning on getting out at 5 in the morning, it's hard to arrange it so that you eat and are able to give yourself time to digest food. Nigel is right to say that I prefer running early in the morning, but thinking about it, I can't recall ever doing a LONG long run very early in the morning. Usually, marathon-training long runs happen at weekends, when I have the chance to eat then hang around for a couple of hours (and peferably 3 or 4) before getting out.

If I had to attempt a 16 miler in midweek, early in the morning, I would probably do the same as SP - have a banana and a glass of water (any more than that would cause other problems) - but take some fluid and some energy gels with me. Many people find these concoctions unpalatable (I seem to recall a runner describing them as "confected snot"**), but I find them quite bearable, and they usually do the job.

If it's the first disappointing run of the campaign, I'd say you're doing pretty damn well, SP. You still did 11.5 miles which is not to be sneezed at. Be philosophical. Every training campaign brings with it loads of new lessons to be learned. As long as this disappointment teaches you something, it will have had some value.

-----------------------
** It may have been me.

El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Messages In This Thread
Bit of a mare - by Seafront Plodder - 22-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Bit of a mare - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 22-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Bit of a mare - by Nigel - 22-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Bit of a mare - by Antonio247 - 23-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Bit of a mare - by El Gordo - 23-09-2004, 03:05 PM