RunningCommentary.net Forums
Marshalling the Moyleman - Printable Version

+- RunningCommentary.net Forums (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Moyleman (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Marshalling the Moyleman (/showthread.php?tid=2283)

Marshalling the Moyleman - The Beast of Bevendean - 08-04-2014

I thought a thread on marshalling might be indicated.
We learnt from the first running that:
  • We need many more
  • We need more particularly in the Castle Hill/YBR area
  • It is reassuring for runners to see a marshal even if the way is obvious
  • On Sundays driving from marshalling point to marshalling point is not to be relied on
We were lucky, of course. Marshalling in poor conditions on the Downs in March could be much more challenging.
Brighton marathon divides the course into zones, with zone managers for each. Is that too elaborate for us, or useful?
We only had one injured runner to cope with. How would we have managed with multiple and more serious injuries?
Are there any lessons we can learn from the Sheffield half affair, apart from the obvious, that if you want to communicate with runners, do so so they can hear you, and plan your water supply well in advance?

RE: Marshalling the Moyleman - El Gordo - 08-04-2014

I can't answer some of those questions, but please count me in as a marshal.

An obvious need is the ability to communicate quickly, but what's the general position re mobile phone signals? If they are very patchy, we might need some sort of walkie-talkie system.

RE: Marshalling the Moyleman - The Beast of Bevendean - 08-04-2014

Good point. Signals seemed good on much of the course, but there were problems on the Blackcap to Housedean Farm and Castle Hill sections.
We could train Sweder's hounds to carry messages attached to their collars, perhaps.
Thanks for marshalling. Your knowledge of Swiss mountain lore and the works of Anthony Powell are just what we need

RE: Marshalling the Moyleman - El Gordo - 08-04-2014

(08-04-2014, 12:02 PM)tomroper Wrote: Thanks for marshalling. Your knowledge of Swiss mountain lore and the works of Anthony Powell are just what we need

By George, that's the answer.....

RE: Marshalling the Moyleman - glaconman - 09-04-2014

You should get in touch with RAYNET.

They will provide comms support for the event so you don't have to rely on mobile signals. Which could obviously be crucial in the event of an injury etc.

RE: Marshalling the Moyleman - Seafront Plodder - 09-04-2014

Be happy to marshal again Tom, and if you decide to go down the 2 way radio route I have a contact who can hire these out (as probably does Sweder).

Not cheap though.

RE: - El Gordo - 09-04-2014

I'm sure all angles will be considered but I thought Glaconman's link was potentially interesting. Keen amateurs perhaps but a brief look at the forum there suggested that other events organisers have been down that path.

RE: - glaconman - 09-04-2014

Yes, lots of long distance races use them: 3 peaks, Haworth Hobble, The Yorkshireman etc

RE: - Sweder - 09-04-2014

RAYNET looks spot on. For those who missed G-Man's link (I did first time round) here's a link to their website.

NB:
1) they can only operate where EMS/ St John's are in operation (they will be on the Moyleman)
2) they are a voluntary/ charity set-up (donations are encouraged) so less expensive than a commercial radio hire option.

As they work directly with St John's I reckon this is a no brainer.

We have a meeting on 3rd June with Lewes Council's events team. That will most likely throw up a few issues, including emergency support. This is a very useful contact.

RE: - Seanmacrook - 01-05-2014

Hi Ash i could possibly help Lindsey is a St Johns and i can ask the Charity i work for to help with Volunteers.

RE: - Sweder - 01-05-2014

Hi Sean, great news. Let's hook up this summer and see what's what. I think we'll need a full St John's team. Volunteers are also most welcome. Tom Roper (Seaford Striders) is in charge of marshals. When we have definitive plan we'll publish more on here.

Next up: meeting with Lewes District Counsel on 3rd June, talks with sponsors, a fly-by of the full course and more detail on dates for registration. Lots to do!

RE: - Charliecat5 - 01-05-2014

Which reminds me, I need to do a fly-by of the full course. Call me a wuss if you must, but I might do this on bike rather than on foot.

RE: Marshalling the Moyleman - Sweder - 07-03-2015

The call for 2015 marshals went out last month. So far the response has been sporadic. This is in part due to our choice of not affiliating to any one RC, opting to stay independent and so keeping the event more in line with what we hope Chris might have enjoyed.

Anyone who would like to help out should drop a line to tom.roper@gmail.com
Tom is our Chief of Marshals and will happily find something rather wonderful for you to do. 

RE: Marshalling the Moyleman - Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 09-03-2015

On the eve of the 2015 Moyleman, I can only recommend you re-read Ash's words on how it all came about:

https://runbrighton.wordpress.com/stories-and-interviews/the-moyleman-featuring-the-late-chris-moyle/

Great stuff. Tragic, but great. Well done, all involved.