RunningCommentary.net Forums
Terrific Time To Taper - Printable Version

+- RunningCommentary.net Forums (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Training Diaries (Individuals) (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Seafront Plodder (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Terrific Time To Taper (/showthread.php?tid=1469)

Terrific Time To Taper - Seafront Plodder - 17-10-2004

With 3 weeks to go till race day, I'm not too sure whether today was my last long run. Deep down I suspect it was, but I'll see how I recover over the next few days.

Solid preparation showed as I really felt quite comfortable for most of it. That was until I was kicked in the shins (or calfs) by complacency with 2.6 miles to go. Sad It never ceases to amaze me just how much mental toughness is required for a long run. My route took me back to where I'd parked the car but just as I needed those further couple of miles, so it was also the time that I needed to chuck it all in an head off to the pub. Spent. That hopeless feeling when you question why you ever started, screaming calfs and a dodgy ache coming from the groin, dying would have been an attractive option.

I knew I had to run 1.3 miles further along the seafront into a stiff breeze (wot a surprise Rolleyes ), and the turn would take me back to the car bang on target.

That way out was tough, very tough. It was when I took my first walk break. I felt bad for having to do it, but my mind told me I had no choice. I rremember flapping to a halt and walking with a loud "fuck me" - much to the surprise of the elderly couple who were reading a newly erected sign about local wildlife off to my left!

I ran-walked to the turn, the arsing GPS jobbie taking an age to click over.

I'm not really sure what happened, and I'll be damned if I can explain it, but on the turn a mental strength then just seemed to take over. The last 1.3, with the wind and back to the car; back to a drink and a towel and, and well everything I wanted right at that moment. For me, that moment was like the turn into The Mall!

True to its word, jobbie clicked over and finished on 20.02 miles.

Terrific Time To Taper - El Gordo - 17-10-2004

Well done on the 20, SP, in what sounds like difficult conditions.

Just out of interest, do you ever use gels? I can't remember if we've had this conversation. I did mention it to someone recently. I had one today, and I think it made a difference. Unusally for me, I kept chugging along for 10 miles without a walk break. It might just help to keep the fatigue at bay.

Not sure I would do another 20 with 3 weeks to go. Probably too risky (for me anyway) How about the 12, then 8 that Hal Higdon recommends for the last 2 weekends?

Not long to go....

Yes I used a gel today, and it wasn't all that bad either.

Lemon & lime gatorade mainly, and water obviously. Today I took the gel at 11 miles. Didn't notice any considerable difference, but then without it....? Who knows.

Terrific Time To Taper - El Gordo - 17-10-2004

They do say (he muttered mysteriously) that they don't have any effect for about 4 miles, so you have to anticipate your tiredness. I took one today after just 4 miles, which I guess should have boosted me at around 8. Hard to say whether it did, but I certainly kept plodding on without walking, so who knows?

Well we obviously don't. Big Grin

Terrific Time To Taper - Nigel - 17-10-2004

Superbly well done, SP. 20 miles in training is so much harder than the race. And, what's that I read - 17.4 miles before your first walk break ?! That's mighty impressive, and at least 11 miles further than I've ever managed in training.

NY sounds like it's in the bag now - with the hardest stretch successfully behind you. A gentle warm-down and then true glory awaits. Enjoy your achievement in getting this far - you deserve it !

Terrific Time To Taper - Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 17-10-2004

Effing excellent work! And dare I ask what time you ran it in?

Terrific Time To Taper - Seafront Plodder - 18-10-2004

yeah sure, ask away!

3.41 - (with a bathroom break*)

* Did you notice I'm getting in the mood by slipping in the odd americanism? Big Grin

Terrific Time To Taper - Seafront Plodder - 22-10-2004

with the taper.

After the 20 miler last weekend I waited until Wednesday before venturing out again for a ploddy 6 miles. I still haven't run in my kit for the day, which is as the pic on my webpage, Whaddya mean you haven't looked? but a black technical top instead of white, more colour co-ordinated says Mrs SPRolleyes

4 more later this afternoon, building up to 13 miles either tomorrow or Sunday.

It's been a bit breezy around these parts lately, and as I was plodding, head down into the wind along the seafront, I suddenly became aware of all these people around me. Now I know my running deserves a crowd, but rarely do I seem to attract one.

Then I saw what they had all turned up to see. Just a bit of debris washed up on the shore! Like I said, it's been a bit breezy here lately...Eek

Terrific Time To Taper - El Gordo - 22-10-2004

Erm... what is it?

Terrific Time To Taper - Seafront Plodder - 22-10-2004

It's an upturned floating crane platform (with one leg missing).

Honestly! Some people... Rolleyes

To give some idea of its size, a person would be about the same height as of one of those red pillar thingys along the side nearest the shoreline..

Or more technically, it's a big bugger.

Terrific Time To Taper - Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 23-10-2004

So THAT'S where it got to ... lost that nearly two years ago. Cost me my job and all.

Terrific Time To Taper - Riazor Blue - 23-10-2004

Hi SP.

Sounds like it's all coming together now.

Regarding the piccie, you can see where the problem is can't you? There's a bolt missing on the right hand leg at the back. Bleeding obvious.

I've taken to using power gels and power bars. When I ran in Toral I didn't have time for breakfast (actually there was nothing open at 6am - the villiage had only just gone to bed) as it was an 8 o'clock start so 2 power bars washed down with 1/2 litre of water 2 hours beforehand provided a good carbo fillip (I don't know if you've tried them but I like either the capucchino or peach/passion fruit flavours).

Whilst warming up I managed to squeeze in a large cafe con leche and a croissant 20 minutes before the start and then during the race I had 4 gels strapped about my person. I only used 3 which was probably a tad unwise, I should have used the other one aswell. I think that one every 5 miles or so would keep you topped up on the way round.

Enjoy the taper, don't go looking for extra miles, the hard bit has been done now. Stick a couple of short fartlek sessions in your taper and you'll be buzzing.