RunningCommentary.net Forums

Full Version: I met a man today.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Chap called Don Martin.

A large pat on the back to anyone who knows (or can guess) what his fantastic running achievement is.

[SIZE="4"]No Googling[/SIZE]... :p
Found.....
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid starring Steve Martin Big Grin Big Grin
There is of course the famous Mad magazine cartoonist Don Martin, but I don't know of any running connection.

Did you get his autograph?
Seafront Plodder Wrote:A large pat on the back to anyone who knows (or can guess) what his fantastic running achievement is.

Did he run the Zurich Marathon in under 5 hours? Eek

Big Grin
Well he's one of an ever-dwindling group of people, and in the process has personally raised over half a million quid for charity.
Fought in the First World War AND run the Zurich Marathon in less than 5 hours...?

Confused
He's the winner of the inaugural (line goes a bit fuzzy at this point) race.
There, that was easy . . .

. . . next . . .
Come on SP, I can't stand the thought of another sleepless night, waiting for the answer......
Sorry, but the tension was just too much for me....

http://www.everpresent.org.uk/
What a fantastic achievement for all of them.

I'm certain that this chap was the fellow who crossed Tower Bridge alongside me in the pouring rain during the 2004 London Marathon. He was tossing pancakes every step of the way, and finished in 4:19. Not too shabby for his 24th London Marathon, at the age of 67.

Actually, he has run the race more times than that, since I see he also completed multiple double runnings of the course, and even attempted triple runnings of the race on a couple of occasions, actually succeeding in 1998.

Also claims the three-legged world record for the marathon, completed in the 1995 race (3:58). Sounds quite a character, all round.
And it was an honour to meet the man.

he's run the last two with severely dodgy knees but is determined to keep going.

He told me that the response I gave was common from many people, especially so from runners who know what the sacrifices are to run just one; but (he said) there is a certain organisation, and the (his) perception is that they do not to give a flying fcuk about the 28 surviving ever-presents.

Have a guess who.

No pats on the back this time and they should be bloody ashamed of themselves. :mad:
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Have a guess who.

Oh god, not another sleepless night.....

Big Grin
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Have a guess who.

Errrrrrm, the British Association of Pancake and Pikelet Bakers? Confused