RunningCommentary.net Forums

Full Version: New look forum front page?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would quite like to have a sidebar on the forum front page. Thought it might be good to highlight race reports and other stuff. I'm going to have a play-around and see if I can get it to work.

While I'm at it, I think we need something in that big white space at the top of the page.

Hold on to yer caps.
Sounds good EG - keep it coming mate.
El Gordo Wrote:While I'm at it, I think we need something in that big white space at the top of the page.

How about a scrolling homage to the PL Champions?
[SIZE="1"]You must've known this tentative humility couldn't last forever . . . [/SIZE]Big Grin

Sorry, slightly euphoric just at the moment.
And becoming ever so gently hammered . . .
El Gordo Wrote:Thought it might be good to highlight race reports and other stuff.
On a slightly different tack - would it be useful to have a separate diary / section for race reports only? Individuals could link into their entries there from their diaries.
marathondan Wrote:On a slightly different tack - would it be useful to have a separate diary / section for race reports only? Individuals could link into their entries there from their diaries.

Hi Dan -- good idea. Race reports tend to get buried. Let me try out this sidebar, and see if this could work with race reports (if people are happy with the idea).
I'm not a big fan of tag clouds, but that big white space does seem the ideal place to put one.

Of course, that would mean we'd have to make a concerted effort to tag our posts, unless there's some way of automating it?
El Gordo Wrote:Hi Dan -- good idea. Race reports tend to get buried. Let me try out this sidebar, and see if this could work with race reports (if people are happy with the idea).
Sorry to imply I didn't like your idea - I think it's better than mine. But I'd thought about the race reports thread a few days ago and forgot to post about it. Rolleyes
marathondan Wrote:Sorry to imply I didn't like your idea - I think it's better than mine. But I'd thought about the race reports thread a few days ago and forgot to post about it. Rolleyes

I didn't realise you were implying you didn't like my idea -- I'm offended now.:mad:

Actually we could do both -- a race reports forum, with the most recent being highlighted on a sidebar. Am having trouble with the sidebar incidentally. Have installed everything but nothing is showing up. Will try again this evening.
Guys, I haven't forgotten about this, or Dan's idea of highlighting races. I couldn't get the sidebar to work and I just haven't got round to having another go. If I had a list, it would definitely be on it.
OK, I've got the sidebar working at last.

Now need to work out what to do with it.
Looks like the short-cut to race reports idea is the favourite so far. Can't say I have any brilliant ideas myself... unless you make it a sort of pot pourri of links to interesting, relevant places like Hal Higdon, Run The Planet, Mario's Pizza Palace etc.?
Yep, sounds reasonable.
Any ideas about how to fill the big blank bit at the top of the page? How about some photos? Any other thoughts?
El Gordo Wrote:Any ideas about how to fill the big blank bit at the top of the page? How about some photos? Any other thoughts?

Tag cloud. That might then encourage/remind us to add tags more often, thus making it actually useful.
At the moment it's down below. I thought about putting it up top though I'd have to work out how to do that. It's not straightforward.
How do you add those tag things? You've probably explained all this before ..I just haven't sussed it yetConfused
ahhh.. "edit tags" duh...