RunningCommentary.net Forums

Full Version: Bringing up the Almeria
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So training works. And not training doesn't. That's my lesson from Almeria. My late October Thames Half prep worked, almost down to the minute, as I hit 1hr55min and could have gone on for more.

My "training" for Almeria involved trying not to be ill with winter colds, and running the twittens each week. That is way way too little. 

On the plus side, I did take gels and hydrate properly, so that's how I managed at least to finish.

But having started the first 10k "easily" and done under 60 mins, my second 10k got progressively worse. It was only mental fortitude that kept my legs ticking over beyond 14k. 

When Sweder passed me at 19k and I tried to go with him - both my calf muscles immediately called a halt to the idea.  And then when MLCMM passed me at 20k, I just gave a weak wave and let him go. Apparently I looked like death as I crossed the line. 

I am not in any of the immediate post-race pics since I was first lying on ground and then waiting in queue for vital massage, feeling as if I was going to throw up/pass out or both.

Still, by 2.30pm I had bounced back and can be seen in many a post-race dinner pic ...

The vital part of recovery was sea swim at San Jose. The hardest part of recovery was walking down the steps off the bus to get to the sea at San Jose.

And so - the second half of the Moyleman beckons. In its favour - not tarmac! Also in its favour - hills! I may still be a little confused.

Hasta la próxima, as Sweder is fond of saying.
Congrats, OATR. I'm sorry you couldn't do the time you expected because you had some pain in your calves.That also happened to my right calf.

Looking forward to meeting you again. ¡Hasta la próxima!

Saludos desde Almería
Thanks folks - and my continuation after the run (which has been where I have fallen down in the past) has been fine. Track session, park run, twittens, extra 10k or so packed in, continuing my late December/January approach.

Looking back at last year though I did manage to squeeze in two or three 20k+ runs between Almeria 2017 and Moyleman Half ... so will be adding those in. Sadly without Sweder, who completed the epic 29K (10k run over the hills to Bevendean; 5K park run; coffee; 15k run back via Black Cap ...) with me on Feb 18 2017 ...
Late Feb update. Have continued with approx same January mileage. But slightly affected by busy busy working days (so less running during weekdays) and also sudden plunge in temperature over recent days. Will try to squeeze in a 20k before the 18th .... but Moyleman just less than 3 weeks away now. Oh my!