RunningCommentary.net Forums

Full Version: 2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wow, interesting result! The Ugandan Kiprotich again upset the Kenyans and Ethiopians to become world champ. But just as interesting was the Japanese runner Nakamoto less than a minute behind in fifth place... I tell you, Japan is getting right up there among the marathoning elite again. In fact there were four Japanese runners in the top 20, including the amazing Yuki Kawauchi whom I encountered blowing away the Africans in last year's Sydney marathon. It's certainly nice to see some nations other than Kenya and Ethiopia at the top of the list.

And my fellow countryman Martin Dent finished 23rd with a season best of 2:17, although I can't mention Martin without also mentioning Jessica Trengove, who finished 11th in the womens' marathon (also a season best) in what was the best ever world championship marathon finish by an Australian woman, and at just 25 y.o. she still has her best ahead - keep an eye on her.

Exciting times in the world of marathon.

Smile