RunningCommentary.net Forums

Full Version: brighton half
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The day started badley with no record of me being in the race, no problem the nice lady said we'll issue you a new number.
Having allready decided this was a Sunday training run and i was running at 7 min mile pace i found myself on the start with Fiona lightfoot Powell, and so we set off running at about 6.30 pace. By the turn at Hove lagoon 6 miles we had picked up Simon, Mike Bannister and Mark Halls and we looked pretty impresive in our black hoop brighton vest .Although Fiona had run the National x country champs yesterday she was running incredibly strong and at the aquarium i decided to let her go, and go she did, not sure of her time but it must of been great. Simon too went blistering off for what had to be a pb.
I had allready decided to ease up when my left foot started giving me grief and i had to almost walk down the slope at Roedean but once back on level ground i got back to about 7.20 min mile for the last 1.5 mile and finished in 1:28:20 although according to my chip over 2 hours.
All in all a brilliant day and yet again Fiona and Simon excelled but also the Sunday newbies Chris and Hannah finished in sub 1:40 fantastic.
Superb efforts all round!
Glad I took my slow-ass carcass off to Pewsey for their little hill run . . . of which more later (when I get the feeling back in my fingers) Eek
Well done everyone on their times. It looks like you are all set for good London Marathon's this year.

Looking forward to reading the Terminator write-up Sweds. And seeing the photos of you running through the knee deep mud!!

JulieSmile
Starting to realise it’s going to be a good day when I line up next to Steve!
We got to the start a bit late and ended up further back than intended. That was fine – my legs weren’t so much sore but a bit stiff from muddy hills the day before. Thought I’d see what happened and play it by ear. After the race Steve D said he thought we’d got lost at the start – he was standing about 500m from the line and wondered what took us so long to pass him. Something along the lines of looking like we were out on a normal Sunday run…which is kind of what we were supposed to be doing. The first mile was 6.31 and then I didn’t really look at my watch again. Got updates from Steve that we were going a bit fast…reverse de ja vu from Hastings. Marc caught up with us around the Old Steine and he soon sped off. We saw a lot of Brighton vests and there was a fair bit of chat in the first half of the run (though less as I started feeling the pain), particularly when we noticed Simon up ahead. We came up with a few potential plans about whether to let him know we were there or not. At the turn Steve was given a bit of abuse for running with me (“Steve, you’re shit, you’re running with a woman”)! We caught up with Simon and then there was a pack of red vests running down the seafront. At mile 6 my legs didn’t seem to be suffering too much more than they were at the start line so decided to keep going at the same pace. Steve was given a bottle of his magic formula rehydration stuff at the aquarium and was good enough to share it with Simon and me, a godsend after the fun and games trying to drink out of paper cups. The boys decided to ease off the pace in the incline past the aquarium and I caught up with Mike. We ran to the marina together at which point I apparently opened up about 50m, though was feeling it now. Mike closed the gap on the run back down Marina Parade and passed me with a couple of hundred metres to go. Managed to take a minute off my pb and as a result have been avoiding walking downstairs all week! Great day for everyone, seemed to be loads of pbs and fab team results. Thanks to Simon for organising a great post-run feed.